Minecraft (Automatic Java Version - Multiple Mods)

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Dennis , 
With the latest version of modded minecraft I'm noticing this error;

C:\TCAFiles\Users\frankj\5585>java\jre8\bin\java.exe -Xmx5120M -Xms128M -jar paper-1.17.1-112.jar nogui 
Minecraft 1.17 requires running the server with Java 16 or above. Download Java 16 (or above) from https://adoptopenjdk.net/

The game config that you made is pointing to jre8 instead of jre16 and doesn't want to load the service, I've also tried installing jre16 locally on that machine without any luck. If you could please assist with this issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ah, I see that it's not included in the config I've uploaded here. Download the latest version.

What's New in Version 1.2.2  

This update might break things. Please test fully before using in production.
This will be the last update before I release a rewritten version of this config.

• Added ability to select Java version manually
  • Java versions are now updated automatically using scheduled tasks
    • Clients can not manage these scheduled tasks
  • Minor changes to how TCAdmin decides the version of Java to use

• 4 weeks later...

What's New in Version 2.0.0  

Read before upgrading from version 1.x to 2.x!
This config has been more or less rewritten. Java is no longer required to be installed on the server as pre-built OpenJDK binaries will be downloaded directly to the service folder.
All modpacks have been removed from the "Mod manager" interface. This is done because we have expanded the Custom Mods module to include modpacks from FTB and CurseForge.

If you want to take advantage of the new Custom Mods module, please uninstall the module first (if your current TCAdmin version is older than 2.0.169.4). After the module has been uninstalled, perform a manual upgrade to 2.0.169.4 (this version has the module included by default): https://help.tcadmin.com/Updating#Manual_Update
Please note that 2.0.169.4 is a development build and might cause some issues. Use it at your own risk.

• [Added] Custom background images
  • [Added] Reintroduced 'server-name' to show server name in TCAdmin
  • [Added] Java 11 binaries
  • [Improved] Automatic Java version detection.
    • TCAdmin will try to detect the required version of Java based on different things
      • If TCAdmin is unable to decide the correct version, it will default to Java 11
    • If OpenJDK doesn't exist in the service folder, it will fall back to environment variables (JAVA8, JAVA11 and JAVA16)*
    • If the environment variables doesn't exist, it will fall back to using the regular 'java' command
  • [Added] Automatic OpenJDK update if OpenJDK binaries are installed locally
  • [Added] Purpur Mod
  • [Added] Tuinity Mod
  • [Removed] All modpacks

Please note that things are not expected to work perfectly. It's a challenge to be able to detect the required Java version for all existing jars.
If you encounter any issues, please post them in the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

You're able to use whatever variant of Java you'd like (read the section " Use system-installed Java versions instead of bundling Java with the game service ").

The issue is most likely not OpenJDK, though. I tested with multiple variants of Java and versions of Minecraft, and OpenJDK would often be the most efficient. The issue is rather that Minecraft 1.17 and newer uses a lot more RAM than previous versions did.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, Dennis said:

You're able to use whatever variant of Java you'd like (read the section " Use system-installed Java versions instead of bundling Java with the game service ").

The issue is most likely not OpenJDK, though. I tested with multiple variants of Java and versions of Minecraft, and OpenJDK would often be the most efficient. The issue is rather that Minecraft 1.17 and newer uses a lot more RAM than previous versions did.

Oh interesting. Good info to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have the Problem that on my Windows Server the "Updates" Tab not available. When i for example install Paper (in the Mod Manager Tab) then comes the Message "Latest Paper version has been installed. To select a specific version, please go to "Updates".". But the Updates Tab is not existing. And when I get in the GameConfig, the Updates Tab is completely empty. Can anyone help me?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-17 um 20.43.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-17 um 20.47.07.png

That's not an issue with the config. That's just how Java and Minecraft works.

Newer versions of Minecraft uses a lot more RAM than older versions did.

The more RAM you assign to a program, the more RAM it will consume generally.
You can try starting the server outside of TCAdmin to verify that RAM usage is the same.

@DennisI just gotta say after some testing and debugging i finally found it!

As you can see i lowered the Xmx and Xms to 512 and boom it worked. Server now runs from 512Mb and when players connect to it and server have to work at the same time ram goes up. Works like intended. And also you need to set the Memory Limit for each service since something is wrong with the config file of Minecraft. But this will doo for now. Just one question, Is it possible to remove the % so users dont get mind blown... 

Thanks! 🙂

image.png.6d00226b0e289e17b4b066a9790ad36c.png

It doesn't matter what you set the RAM limit to in TCAdmin - unless you also set a value for virtual memory. If no value for virtual memory is set, the process will keep using virtual memory (page file).

TCAdmin will not be able to control the real memory usage of a Java application any better than you can control it outside of TCAdmin. It's just not possible due to the way heap size works.

Oh okay, Tested the commandlines on my local PC and it works with Xmx and Xms, so something must be wrong. Local MC server using less then 2GB but on TCAdmin is uses over 3GB or more.

These are the commandlines for both Local and TCAdmin: java -Xmx8192M -Xms1024M -jar server.jar

Local Setup: 

image.thumb.png.0ba8e23142b3e60d44f0f0b36b2d3767.png

TCAdmin Setup: 

image.png.bd72e076708e558ab8ab7cfc4ccd8d71.png

Server idle, no players or mods:

image.png.c04e96f783b99a5c916b23b0d0913cc7.png

The task manager shows the exact same usage of Ram on the minecraft server.