Dedicated Servers

KGM6911

I'm looking to get info about what people are doing regarding the dedicated servers they use to host servers for clients. I am looking to offer hosting for games like Ark and Atlas in areas like Texas, New York, Chicago, Georgia. If you are able to answer and provide any additional information I would appreciate it.

Do you use your own hardware or rented hardware?

If you're using your own hardware, is co-location how you get them in different locations?

Do you own your windows server licenses or do you rent them?

How much ram do you typically have in a machine running games like Ark?

What types of processors do you typically use in a machine running games like Ark?

Is it necessary to use a CPU like an I7 to host multiple instances of games like Ark?

I've tried shopping around on various dedicated server providers and it appears that the machines that have better processors with at least 64GB ram typically run a few hundred dollars a month at a minimum. If I were to get a machine with 64GB I would expect to be able to run a maximum of 10 instances on it. From what I see on most game server hosting companies $15-$20 a month is an average price for a small Ark server. If I were to be able to get 10 of them running on that machine it wouldn't even cover the costs of the server as well as the tcadmin and windows server licenses. Am I missing something? How are game server hosts able to profit?

Any help is appreciated. I'd really like to be able to find quality hosting at a price that I can turn a profit. Does this exist? Do I need to purchase my own machines to do this or is it possible when renting?

Thanks,

Ken

Archived