Cannot set Custom Game Service Names

SemlerPDX

Looked all over the forums, couldn't find any method or fix for this.  Please help!

Been using TCAdmin for nearly ten years, recently moved over to TCAdmin 2 -- before that, there was a small 'button' next to the name where default '((#)) Slots ((GAME))' displayed name format could be changed to something custom and specific.  I've tried multiple browsers, disabling all plugins/extensions, and reviewed documentation, and every settings and config screen under the game service(s), but there is NO visible way to change the name to something custom.  I am using a full Administrator account, and a Pro license, on TCA version 2.0.166.0 with .NET CLR version of 4.0.30319.42000.

Now, we are stuck with a list of old names carried over from TCAdmin 1 and now showing depreciated version numbers or incorrect names - we don't want our Admins to have to refer to specific servers by looking up the Port number or Service ID number, they should just be able to look at the list and read the "TCAdmin ONLY" reference name we set like in TCAdmin v1.

Is there some trick, or way to change this?  Is this a bug?  I'm not running the very latest version of TCAdmin 2.0, but only a few minor versions back (installed in July) - could this be an issue? We typically update windows server OS and tools like TCAdmin quarterly (stable branches only), but can push it up if it's a known bug already patched.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance from VG!

tcadmin1.jpg.18b9285c65759731ab666079a2ca394b.jpg tcadmin2.jpg.6ce50e952ff529e2ad90143edfaa05aa.jpg

4 hours ago, Ragonz said:

In the game template untick "Get service name from hostname"

I assume you mean this checkbox circled in the image below -- this is already unchecked.  For testing, I checked the box, updated existing services, unchecked the box, and updated services again.  No luck - still no ability to click on game name, no appearance of edit buttons, and again, tried across different browsers (extensions/plugins disabled)

tcadmin3.thumb.jpg.f8c170afa6e29647a0d196def3ca5bf6.jpgtcadmin4.jpg.2532737b1564fb06b8ccad2a72fe396f.jpgtcadmin5.jpg.2ebaae813c40b32421fcfa99eea882ae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem here, tested disabling "Get service name from hostname" as well yet no rename option is shown on the panel

Finding it really annoying that I can't use such a basic feature that other panels have

Did you ever find a way to rename the server?

9 hours ago, _george said:

Did you ever find a way to rename the server?

No I have not.  Glad to hear we're not alone.  Seems like I will need to be opening a support ticket if I want to get anywhere with this bug.  We have been using TCAdmin for just shy of ten years now, thought it would be a "good" move to update to TCAdmin v2.0 this summer, honestly it was working well in v1.0 and if there is no resolution to this issue after going the support ticket route, we will be axing TCAdmin v2.0 and rolling back to v1.0

On 10/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, SemlerPDX said:

I assume you mean this checkbox circled in the image below -- this is already unchecked.  For testing, I checked the box, updated existing services, unchecked the box, and updated services again.  No luck - still no ability to click on game name, no appearance of edit buttons, and again, tried across different browsers (extensions/plugins disabled)

tcadmin3.thumb.jpg.f8c170afa6e29647a0d196def3ca5bf6.jpgtcadmin4.jpg.2532737b1564fb06b8ccad2a72fe396f.jpgtcadmin5.jpg.2ebaae813c40b32421fcfa99eea882ae.jpg

Keep in mind that for the Get service name from hostname to work, you need to enable it as well as have a working Query Protocol (I think Arma is Half Life 2 new) and then wait for the query to happen.

It's not as simple as just ticking the box and then refreshing the page, it needs to happen the next time your server information is queried by TCAdmin (Default: Every 5 minutes).

On 10/31/2021 at 4:47 PM, Polychrome said:

Keep in mind that for the Get service name from hostname to work, you need to enable it as well as have a working Query Protocol (I think Arma is Half Life 2 new) and then wait for the query to happen.

It's not as simple as just ticking the box and then refreshing the page, it needs to happen the next time your server information is queried by TCAdmin (Default: Every 5 minutes).

Okay - Query Protocol for Arma 3 is Arma 3, not Half Life 2 new - and wondering if there is a guide you are getting this information from. 

image.png.d819887c79a72612f714df38c5992a1e.png

Where is this method supposed to pull the server name from?  The config file for the server?  Where does it expect that file to be?  What does it expect that file name to be?  Is it literally going to crawl the config for the 'hostname=' variable and then repopulate the Game Service Name?

If there were a guide I could follow, or any further information about how any of this works, that would be just fine - more than capable of following instructions, if TCAdmin would only provide them.  Personally, I see no reason for the lack of an "edit name" button as in TCAdmin v1.0 for any/all game services.

Edited by SemlerPDX
added img

*bump*

Again, reviewing the TCAdmin 2.0 Wiki and most every seemingly relevant topic there, I am still not finding anything regarding the Query method mentioned above or setting/changing the name of the server as seen in Game Services (even if pulled from a config file variable).

If anyone can point us in the right direction or to the right Wiki page, we'd be extremely grateful!  Been going around in circles with this issue for a month now.  Happy to follow documentation if we could just get an idea of where to look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 3:26 PM, SemlerPDX said:

Okay - Query Protocol for Arma 3 is Arma 3, not Half Life 2 new - and wondering if there is a guide you are getting this information from. 

image.png.d819887c79a72612f714df38c5992a1e.png

Where is this method supposed to pull the server name from?  The config file for the server?  Where does it expect that file to be?  What does it expect that file name to be?  Is it literally going to crawl the config for the 'hostname=' variable and then repopulate the Game Service Name?

If there were a guide I could follow, or any further information about how any of this works, that would be just fine - more than capable of following instructions, if TCAdmin would only provide them.  Personally, I see no reason for the lack of an "edit name" button as in TCAdmin v1.0 for any/all game services.

Sorry, forgot about the thread since i was going through a tough week full of work.

Arma 3 might work for some people but the most reliable way to query the information would be Half Life 2 new (Even the UTF8 version which queries far more information). This is because Arma 3 servers run through Steam, by running through Steam you're able to use the same protocol that it's used to query most Source Engine Games.

Most of the time you can test if the query protocol works for you by simply adding your server's Query Info to the Steam Server List (On your Steam Client). If it's setup properly, you should be able to find it in the Favorites tab when you add it, otherwise you might need to redo your ports.

This is not coming from a guide but from actually hosting it like that, we tried using Arma 3 for a while but it wouldn't work 95% of the times.