Request: Stop and Delete Servers

j0nnyt

That's true, but hopefully a company would be able to manage their signups closely so they wouldn't be overloaded. It'd be better to have the income from the people who would only purchase hourly, then not have that money at all.

I believe the problem with this that Luis or Kevin said is that Modernbill doesn't have an hourly subscriptions setting (only monthly, quarterly, etc). I'm not sure if there would be a work around for this. Have Modernbill send the information to TCAdmin on how many hours to keep the server up and then automatically delete it in TCAdmin. But then what about the customer still set to active in Modernbill? Maybe just have Modernbill keep the customer as active until the end of the month when it changes them to cancelled? I'm not sure how it'd work, but I bet you could make a lot from a booking system because people would pay $5 for an hour, as an example, when they otherwise wouldn't have paid less than $20 for an entire month. $5 an hour is a lot more than $20 for a whole month. =)

I played around with hourly servers once. It was a total bust. Yea they would pay about what you are saying for an hr of use but in came the support tickets too, as they wanted this or that mod added plus this or that map. And most had no clue, since they hadn't been running their own server, how to tweak the config the way they wanted or the way their league rules said it had to be, so in came yet another support issue. Low and behold I was working 30 mins or more just to get them happy, and of course they insisted on server being good for an hr after that cause it was my companies fault that the server wasn't right.

Nope hourly sounds good on the surface. But my time is worth more than what’s left after that and the majority will never really accept pre-configs so you can’t mandate that. So refusal to tailor means that many more people run around saying my servers are crap, and tailoring makes it a total money black hole.

I played around with hourly servers once. It was a total bust. Yea they would pay about what you are saying for an hr of use but in came the support tickets too, as they wanted this or that mod added plus this or that map. And most had no clue, since they hadn't been running their own server, how to tweak the config the way they wanted or the way their league rules said it had to be, so in came yet another support issue. Low and behold I was working 30 mins or more just to get them happy, and of course they insisted on server being good for an hr after that cause it was my companies fault that the server wasn't right.

Nope hourly sounds good on the surface. But my time is worth more than what’s left after that and the majority will never really accept pre-configs so you can’t mandate that. So refusal to tailor means that many more people run around saying my servers are crap, and tailoring makes it a total money black hole.

IMO...Sounds like its not worth the $5.00 your making..lol Ill stick with the 30 day rentals :)

From what everyone says about the "booking" feature it does sound very discouraging, but it would still be nice to have the option. You wouldn't necessarily have to use this for sales. You could use this system as a promotion tool or for people testing servers or many other uses. I believe I'd be able to find a productive use for it somehow. =) It also might even be a nice selling feature for TCAdmin because what other control panel has this? I know if I were looking at control panels it might be the feature that sold me on it, even if it was found to not be useful.

• 11 months later...

i coded this but sadly it didnt take off, i agree its good for testing servers, you can give people a refund if they go on to buy a server or give out coupons for free setup - takes the manual process out of setting up test servers.

The script i have interfaces with MB - it works, not amazingly but does the job.

Archived