Windows XP Pro & Server 2003 Question.

Lonz

As far as I know, the TCAdmin Master Server will run perfectly fine on an XP Pro box, however it can only cope with a certain number of clients connected to it at one time.

Apart from this factor, what advantages do you think Windows Server 2003 has over the likes of XP Pro for hosting gameservers. From a bit of research of my own I don't really see any. A small grey area I was unsure of was XP Pro 64bit which might cause a few problems, but should provide a major benefit on CPU intensive games (assuming you're running 64bit hardware).

How many of you out there are running your servers quite happily on Windows XP Pro, if not, why are sticking with Server 2000/2003? Linux users need not apply :p

As far as I know, the TCAdmin Master Server will run perfectly fine on an XP Pro box, however it can only cope with a certain number of clients connected to it at one time.

Apart from this factor, what advantages do you think Windows Server 2003 has over the likes of XP Pro for hosting gameservers. From a bit of research of my own I don't really see any. A small grey area I was unsure of was XP Pro 64bit which might cause a few problems, but should provide a major benefit on CPU intensive games (assuming you're running 64bit hardware).

How many of you out there are running your servers quite happily on Windows XP Pro, if not, why are sticking with Server 2000/2003? Linux users need not apply :p

It is against Microsoft Licensing to use XP Pro as a server OS.

Hmmm, well I am sitting in China at the moment and there are vendors on almost ever other street corner with homemade copies of Windows. So by your logic it being illegal to copy and resell there software must be open for interpretation.

Just because someone else (no mater how big or small they are) gets away with something doesn’t make it legal. There are so many people and companies that pirate software that Microsoft can’t get them all. But when they do get someone it HURTS.

Its between you, your layer and Microsoft whether or not you can get away with it. But I’d be weary of posting it on open forums, and even more so of arguing back that is acceptable since Microsoft has a dedicated email for reporting piracy. And it’d really hurt, whether its legal or not, to end up being sued by them. They have way too many layers for me to want to take them on if I can avoid it.

Studeggle, you misunderstand my point. The likes of the above companies openly advertise to the public about what software they use. The likes who advertise elsewhere on the internet that they do so and even sponsor major international events, yet again advertising their software.

Now, I'm sure that those people in China wouldn't broadcast about it if they knew someone from Microsoft was about. Anyone can log on to say Jolt's website and see for themselves. Either they are in agreed with Microsoft over using it, or they someone isn't looking hard enough.

Studeggle, you misunderstand my point. The likes of the above companies openly advertise to the public about what software they use. The likes who advertise elsewhere on the internet that they do so and even sponsor major international events, yet again advertising their software.

Now, I'm sure that those people in China wouldn't broadcast about it if they knew someone from Microsoft was about. Anyone can log on to say Jolt's website and see for themselves. Either they are in agreed with Microsoft over using it, or they someone isn't looking hard enough.

The use of XP as a server/hosting OS is not open to interpretation. If your in a partnership program with Microsoft it would be very wise of you to contact your rep about it, I'm very positive they would be more then happy to explain all the do's and don'ts about it or even asking your data center would most likely net the same results as they will be the ones most likely to be audited.

Link to XP Pro license agreement

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/proeula.mspx

• 2 months later...

How about we focus on the technical discussion rather than the licensing issue. IMHO, we can never end the neverending discussion/argument regarding the licensing part and it is a classic technical discussion stopper. Just my 2 cents.

I am interested to know the results of the test case by Lonz and currently looking at using XP Pro x64 to run tcadmin. One of my tech guy mentioned that XP Pro x64 uses the same code base as win 2003 and there should not be any problems. What's ur views on this folks?

In this case, then why does TCAdmin supports WinXP? Not all of us here uses TCAdmin for commercial purposes and hosts our servers in datacenters. I am sure there are some of us here hosts for our own personal interests, and hence the technical-focused discussion on various OSes.

In this case, then why does TCAdmin supports WinXP? Not all of us here uses TCAdmin for commercial purposes and hosts our servers in datacenters. I am sure there are some of us here hosts for our own personal interests, and hence the technical-focused discussion on various OSes.

Just because it's legal to buy and sell a firearm doesn't make it legal to to go on a nightly drive by does it????

Just because it's legal to buy and sell a firearm doesn't make it legal to to go on a nightly drive by does it????

From what I have gathered, no one has said they're going for a drive-by, I certainly didn't (metaphorically speaking).

I understand from the licensing that you can use XP Pro to host gameservers for your own personal use (non-profit making/attempting), whether you own personal just happens to use TCAdmin as well makes no difference at all.

If it's a sensitivie topic, leave it be, this thread wasn't intended to break any rules, I don't think it has. I also think it wouldn't break any rules if it was discussed as I intended it.

Archived