CPU speed and RAM

BrandonW

Hello all My parents and I are looking to start a Game server provider. And I am going to purchase my machines from softlayer.com with a 2.13 ghz xeon 3050 dual core and 2 gb of ram with a 100 mbps connection. how many slots am i looking at putting on this machine. Because i need to make a profit. My parents are funding it and i am running it. So all i need to know is the amount of slots i can get on the machine. Thanks - Itsbmw:grin:

Hi Brandon,

It depends on what you are looking to provide. I would recommend 75-100 slots on the server you mentioned which would leave some headroom and give nice game play. If you are looking to provide budget or $1/slot type hosting you can load the server up more but performance would be sacrificed. It depends on what type of business model you are trying to employ.

Also you should take into account any other services running on the server and things like plugins, mods etc that will cause excessive load.

Hi Brandon,

I notice from your other posts you are planning single server with master running on it, and my guess would be your website as well. These are going to drastically eat into the server. That will leave you only able to run 30 or so slots and even there, there may be performance issues on the game servers any time the websites get much of any traffic.

If you are going to go with single server you should look at not running web on it. IE get the web hosted TCAdmin and get a small web hosting account elsewhere for your site, because running web and game servers together will not work very well.

Archived