How many servers do you host your games on?

DougK94

How many dedicated server boxes are you presently using to host your game servers?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many dedicated server boxes are you presently using to host your game servers?

• 2 - 5
    • 6 - 15
    • 16 - 25
    • 25 - 49
    • 50 +

Another thread got me wondering about the actual number of physical servers each GSP is using to host their game servers. I am not asking WHO has HOW MANY (and I could care less who is the largest or the smallest), but this is just a way to show anonymously the number of physical servers you have. I thought this may help each of us understand better where we fit into the mix of things, and also for someone considering entering this business a way to see a realistic number of servers that they may eventually grow to.

I was hoping everyone will vote for the number of dedicated boxes they currently are running and administering to host games on for their GSP and NOT include any dedicated boxes they have leased to customers. I do not mean for anyone to post bragging or even about their number, just a vote without any reply is sufficient as far as I am concerned. I would like to see if the actual percentages are close to what I am assuming they will be.

I know the TCAdmin crew could answer this from their sales numbers, but that would not be kosher, nor would I expect them to publicly answer.

DougK94,

Thats a great idea, I posted in the forums kinda the same question. I'm also thinking of starting an GPS. People have told me it's hard to add up the actual number of slots for each physical servers. At this point, I just want to get an idea, I have seen most GSP have anywhere from 200 to 500 servers hosting 15,000 slots for players to use. That just seems crazy to me but if you add up all the players online at the GSP site, you'll see 16,000 to 20,000 players online playing games!!! So I have an excel worksheet with some numbers of avg players X slots open on an game server X physical servers. The cost for each servers vs. players online for profit.

Please feel free to e-mail: wingdemon_serverhelp@yahoo.com

WingDemon

• 3 months later...

That is totally fluid, and has been covered. It depends on the game, the mods, the settings, the box (we have single cpu servers, too quad quad cores, 1GB ram to 16GB ram) the key to avoiding lag is knowing the game and operating system then keeping usage specs under about 80% give or take depending on setup.

Archived