Call of Duty 4: Resource Usage & Server Quanity

RackGaming

Hello TCA Community,

Im back after a long 3 month break, & im raring to go.

I have re-thought my business strategy & have decided that hosting CSS and other HL based games have more problems than solutions with resources & general Lag spike issues etc. So therfore I have decided to only host COD4 game servers.

My question is this:

I've read many websites regarding this question & all have different opinions on the matter, So I came to the place were I can get a straight answer.

My Server Spec:

Intel Quadcore 1.6 CPU (x1)

10K RPM Raptor Drive 74G (x2)

Raid 0 Enabled for more HDD space

4GIG ECC FB-DIMM Memory

Hosted in Rapidswitch Data Center (3TB B/W)

Here's my simple question:

How many instances of COD4 can I host exclusivly on this server?

The question is raised due to the fact that RAM & HDD was always a main factor with COD4 (350meg+ Ram allocated) & 4.5G HDD per COD4 Instance.

However I never did find out how much CPU a COD4 instance would take on this server spec.

Could anyone here help by viewing my server spec above & give a good estimated ammount of COD4 instances that I could "Technically" host?

Also, There will be no other services being run on this server other than COD4. ALl voice servers & webhosting are provided on a seperate server.

Thank you all so much in advance!

I’m at a loss here, your moving from games with dedicated server files to games without to make it easier? I host both and I don’t really see that, if I was a betting man I’d wager that if you had problems with HL you’ll be having trouble with COD4, but all the more power too you.

Unfortunately your question seems to still be missing the mark as well.

(5 instances of 5 slot server) does not equal (5 instances of 10 slot server) even though both times there are only 5 instances running.

Also…

(3 instances of 5 slot server) does not equal (5 instances of 3 slot server) even though both times there are 15 slots running.

Resource usage is affected by both. It is also effected by tweaks to the operating system, and tweaks to the game servers. To understand how much you can run is not a science, but an art which has been stated to death around here.

If you truly want to understand what you can host then do your homework and start up some servers and get some friends and or the public to play on them and monitor your system resource usage. Do that for a month or so and you’ll be able to make an educated guess for you usage levels with that game.

Just remember if you plan for the quality server business plan you better leave padding on your estimate because there are ALWAYS unexplained increases in resource usage when you start publicly selling a game.

Hello TCA Community,

Im back after a long 3 month break, & im raring to go.

I have re-thought my business strategy & have decided that hosting CSS and other HL based games have more problems than solutions with resources & general Lag spike issues etc. So therfore I have decided to only host COD4 game servers.

My question is this:

I've read many websites regarding this question & all have different opinions on the matter, So I came to the place were I can get a straight answer.

My Server Spec:

Intel Quadcore 1.6 CPU (x1)

10K RPM Raptor Drive 74G (x2)

Raid 0 Enabled for more HDD space

4GIG ECC FB-DIMM Memory

Hosted in Rapidswitch Data Center (3TB B/W)

Here's my simple question:

How many instances of COD4 can I host exclusivly on this server?

The question is raised due to the fact that RAM & HDD was always a main factor with COD4 (350meg+ Ram allocated) & 4.5G HDD per COD4 Instance.

However I never did find out how much CPU a COD4 instance would take on this server spec.

Could anyone here help by viewing my server spec above & give a good estimated ammount of COD4 instances that I could "Technically" host?

Also, There will be no other services being run on this server other than COD4. ALl voice servers & webhosting are provided on a seperate server.

Thank you all so much in advance!

COD4 is a ram hog. Therefore you'll want to put a ratio of higher ram, to cpu power to assist you in this endeavor. Taking into account 4 GB of memory, and estimating that there will be no servers larger than 16-24 players, I think a safe number would be in the neighborhood of 10 if you plan not to oversell your resources.

Also, I would highly suggest you abandon Raid 0 VERY QUICKLY! You're already running 10K drives, and the speed difference you will gain is not worth the 100% data loss if one of your drives fail. You will be far better to purchase a 80 GB SATAII 7200 RPM drive to boot the OS, and a 150GB 10K Raptor for game files if you are set on this drive to run your game servers. You may also want to consider a X3220 chip, instead of the Xeon 1.6 (I assume clovertown 5310?)

Hello,

I know that Raid 0 is a bad idea & didnt realy need advice on this. Indeed I am only using Raid0 due to very low budget (Unable to purchase more HHD's Yet) & mainly because if I keep it on raid 1 is only gives me 74G space to work with (When working with COD4 this will be very bad indeed & leave very little room to work with)

On another note, You mentioned a very nice CPU to swap out the 5310 out with "X3220 chip" However I don't mean to undermind you but unless im missing something here, then that CPU will simply not be compatible with my server. The 5310 is a 771 & not the 775 which is required for the X3220 chip to be compatible.

Maybe list better alternate CPU's, Better than a Quadcore 5310 without paying more than 200 pounds (As this would be the price to purchase another 5310 to have Duel Quadcores in the server)

Thank You.

P.S sorry for short reply but im in a rush.

Thank you for your reply.

Hello,

I know that Raid 0 is a bad idea & didnt realy need advice on this. Indeed I am only using Raid0 due to very low budget (Unable to purchase more HHD's Yet) & mainly because if I keep it on raid 1 is only gives me 74G space to work with (When working with COD4 this will be very bad indeed & leave very little room to work with)

On another note, You mentioned a very nice CPU to swap out the 5310 out with "X3220 chip" However I don't mean to undermind you but unless im missing something here, then that CPU will simply not be compatible with my server. The 5310 is a 771 & not the 775 which is required for the X3220 chip to be compatible.

Maybe list better alternate CPU's, Better than a Quadcore 5310 without paying more than 200 pounds (As this would be the price to purchase another 5310 to have Duel Quadcores in the server)

Thank You.

P.S sorry for short reply but im in a rush.

Thank you for your reply.

If you can't afford Raid 1 due to space, I'd recommend one of two things. First, drop RAID'ing all together, or pickup two 250-500GB SEAGATE 32MB Cache Drives and Raid 1 them. These things absolutely fly! Yes, the X3220 is a 775 socket, but if you haven't already purchased your mobo, I would highly suggest the switch if you're planning to solely host COD4.

Archived