Which Is better Operton or Xeon

gemcneill

Monk,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the insight into your reasoning. And you may be right. Was just curious to know if there were some compelling evidence to prove one having a significant advantage over the other, or if it were more of a matter of personal preference. I'm sure theres probably not more then 5-10% difference between comparable configurations.

Off topic have you guys messed around with Dual Harpertowns at all, as we are potentially looking at a Dual Harpertown configuration running on the 5400 Chipset. Would be curious to see how they fare in regards to game server hosting.

First thing, Game servers are sensitive to clocks inside your motherboard..This also has an effect on other syscall performance as well, since the lower the faster (less expensive)

*                      TSC             ACPI-fast       HPET            i8254
* Xeon Woodcrest:      580 nsec        1429 nsec       1290 nsec       4180 nsec
* Opteron 2200:        201 nsec        1110 nsec       1760 nsec       4420 nsec

The code I used is useless for everyone else unless you have a stratum 0 clock locally attached via PPS iface (serial port GPS), so you have a baseline device to use to see how shitty your various clocks are inside.

HPET is only used on Windows 2008, the TSC skews on multiprocessor servers, i8254 is very slow to read and ACPI uses multiple IO port reads since it lives off somewhere behind a bridge..

I'll post some more instruction benchmarks as soon as I finish writing the code and running it on various intel and AMD boards..

Archived