Abnormal CPU useage - Win2k8

Hey guys wondering if anyone experienced this.

We upgraded one of our machines from win2k3 to win2k8 server. Were running a single Quad Core processor and looks like cpu 0 is taking most of the load and its not load balancing properly to the other cores.

Just checked now and running 80% on cpu0, 20% on cpu1, 20% on cpu2, and 30% on cpu3

running about 5 cs, 5, css, and frontlines server

what do you think ? I also have tcadmin running all services starting at cpu0

Jon I have been monitoring and in fact it is one hlds server thats 20 man full causing cpu0 to spike abnormally. mostly cpu0 and cpu3 but cpu1 and cpu2 still are way lower.

Any way to fix this ? or force it to balance across all cores

I dont think you can, this was discussed, search for affinity in the forums.

**Update**

I reinstalled the service for this hlds server, removed start at cpu0 and then checked it again, saved and it looks like the load balancing is performing abit better. Maybee after upgrading I needed to give it a kick.

• 1 month later...

Try this; Do not select a cpu affinity in TCAdmin and do not select start on CPU 0 that should fix the affinity problem using Windows server 2008. We had the same problem with a few games on one of our servers. Setting the cpu affinity in TCAdmin does not work using 2008 server. You will also need to run all game servers as admin

Archived