COD4 Rcon exploit

Currently seeing this, if anyone else can verify, there is something floating around out there that allows this person to gain rcon abilities to the server, by using the default 'dedicated.cfg' or such, they are able to change configurations around maliciously.

We've seen it happen, current fix, rename dedicated.cfg to something not known... eg, galorededicated.cfg

They can still gain the rcon access, however you won't need to spend 4 hours reviewing their configs for what might be screwed up, or a reinstall.

if anyone else has any information regarding this please post

-Adam

Variety Map Pack sponsored by NVIDIA hits PC June 5th

Great news! Heads up that the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Variety Map Pack sponsored by NVIDIA will be available worldwide for our PC players next week on June 5th!

NVIDIA is making it possible for PC players to download the map pack for Free on the PC thanks to their sponsorship. In addition, expect to see quite a few promotions popping up leading up to the launch of the map packs on the 5th and beyond. I know NVIDIA has a lot of great things planned for PC users in addition to maps becoming available.

There’s going to be some PC specific previews going up online this weekend I believe that will cover how well the maps play on the PC version as well as some contests and promotions happening all next week. I’ll be posting up details on them as they get started all this week!

The Variety Map Pack includes four new maps for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare multiplayer including Broadcast, Chinatown, Killhouse, and Creek.

In addition to the map pack hitting, PC Players will be receiving the 1.6 Patch for the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare that will add support for the new maps, fix a server crash exploit recently reported by the community, and a few additional features / bug fixes. I will post a full patch notes list next week.

So it appears its coming June 5th. Hopefully boxes arent exploited beyond control by then.

I haven't had a confirmation yet from IW regarding if this is patched in this update or not, still waiting for a response. This guy 'charlie' is suposed to get back to me regarding if it is or isn't.

I'll post the reply here.

macro expansion. I notified IW of this bug months ago. You can also do other nasty things (which I won't get into)

Do they connect via normal UDP/TCP ports, or do they open a unique one? If so, maybe we can filter this out via an OS Firewall in the meantime?

Archived