Windows Server x64

Drakar

I have to choose the remote windows version to use and I have every options avaliable.

It looks that Server x64 can be good for the memory but I don't know if it is good and compatible with the games servers, if eat more memory than 32 bits windows version and if install standard or enterprise version.

In 32 bits is easy, enterprise windows version is the way if you have 4GB+ RAM, but in x64 standard version there isn't that limit but I don't know if the game servers will have any network limitation or performance using this version.

I am confused...

Ideas and experiences?

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
I use also 2x quad xeon 5410 and 16gb ram on windows 2008 web x64 :) you also have 240days trial :), visit microsoft for more info

There are some issues with 2008 I would not recommend it for games. We have not had any problems at all running 2003 x64. We run 5405, 5410, and 5420, Dual processor systems.

We have found several problematic games that are not stable on a 2008 server.

Americas Army

rFactor

ARCA Sim Racing

These games just randomly crash, the more players that join the server the more often it crashes. At first we thought this was a server issue so we replaced the RAM, reinstalled the OS, and reinstalled the games, nothing worked. We got no help from MS at all.

We installed 2008 on a second server to test the OS and we found the same issue

Archived