Window Vista Business X64?

gemcneill

Was looking around at OS limitations and I notices that Vista business x64 can hold 2 physical cpus (dual quads is possible) and hold up to 128gb of ram, while win2k8 can hold only 32 gb of ram. Is anyone using vista for their host OS? Also is vista business cheaper in the SPLA licensing than win2k8?

George

while i completely disagree with about 99% of the hype on vista, i would recommend server2k8 over vista business simply because server2k8 will most likely fit the game hosting needs better. while yes it can host the games it will most likely take up more resources aswell (ill look that up in the morning when i have more time). server2k8 has alot of security improvements that i dont *think* have been integrated into vista as of yet. that being said, i personally have not used vista on any of my servers.

on a side topic...

what would you do with 128 gb of ram? to be hosting that many games you would need 2 beastly processors overclocked to hell and back (although the thought does catch my imagination i dont think anyone will be doing that on some $1000 processors any time soon. on a remote server no less)

We use Server 2008 on 1 server box. It handles RAM and the dual cpu's a lot better than 2003. If you plan on hosting America's Army I would not recommend it. After a RAM replacement and over 4 months of trouble shooting we just gave up on it. Also you can't have the game servers interact with desktop, with 2008 they stopped it. Because Microsoft said it's a security hole. You now have to go through hoops to get it to work. You can't set the affinity with TCAdmin either.

Well, your only potential free windows-compatible operating system is ReactOS, but that's a long way off being anything near stable enough for day to day use. Otherwise, you just have to pay the MS licence fee, which isn't too bad if you get it from the DC.

Windows Server 2008 x64 can hold more then 32GBs of RAM if you have Enterprise or above.

Windows Server 2008 x64

Web

4 Processors, 32GBs of RAM

Standard

4 Processors, 32GBs of RAM

Enterprise

8 Processors, 2TB of RAM

Datacenter

64 Processors, 2TB of RAM

Runninh a Windows Client Operating System is always a bad idea, due to the built in restrictions of the Windows Client Operating Systems (Connection Limits, etc.).

Archived