Mac OS X takes more of Window's market share

JasonF

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15982

Less than 90% of the world's computers ran Windows last month, according to Net Applications market share data quoted by TG Daily—and that's possibly a first since the early 1990s.

The Net Applications numbers reportedly say Windows secured 89.6% of the global PC market in November, down from 92.4% a year before, 94.2% in November 2006, and 96.4% in October 2004. In fact, TG Daily goes so far as to claim this year's 2.8-point share drop is the greatest "in the operating system's 23-year history." Yikes.

This latest slip left Mac OS X with an 8.87% slice of the market. That's up just over two points from a year ago and nearly threefold compared to OS X's 2004 share, which worked out to a puny 3.2%. Net Applications' numbers still pin Linux under the 1% threshold at 0.83%, up from 0.57% in November of 2007.

Should the Mac OS every catch on properly (god forbid) then all the Mac fan boys wont be so happy now that their OS is the target for various types of nasty software. As I always say though, if you know what your doing, you wont have any issues on Windows, its only the PC illiterate that have issues to be frank. And guess what, they are also the most susceptible to Apples constant stream of marketing c***. You know; those incredibly biased, ill-informed and often just plain rubbish claims they like to spout.

This is part of the normal product life cycle. Even the best products go through up and down cycles. I don't think the Windows market share is seriously being threatened by Mac OS X

What do you call the man that finished in second place? "The first loser"

The only thing keeping MAC and Apple alive is government contracts.

The only thing keeping MAC and Apple alive is government contracts.

I don't

think so, the vast majority of goverment contracts for computing are with microsoft for windows. Mac hold a very small number of goverment contracts. If you were too pull goverment contracts from the picture, the numbers sing a whole other tune!

Sickpuppy, I am VERY much aware of apples contracts with the government (NASA, Navy, JPC, The Pentagon, Army, Airforce, Education) frankly total apple contracts for desktops isn't even worth mentioning it is so small, but they have pulled in a notable amount from other code uses, but it still dwarfs the governments contracts with Microsoft. I just wish I knew of unclassified means for some of the figures I have as they really shed some light on the computer world. (They probably exist due to freedom of information act, but since I haven't seen them I play it safe)

Archived