What system secruity/software do you use?

maksam

Well as i am thinking of starting up a GSP i was hoping to get some information from you guys.

• What firewall or network security software do you use?
  • Do you use your own router if your coloing? (Or is that not necessary?)
  • Without giving much else away what else do you use or would you recommend to me as bare minimum? To run a safe server?

Cheers

Well as i am thinking of starting up a GSP i was hoping to get some information from you guys.

• What firewall or network security software do you use?
  • Do you use your own router if your coloing? (Or is that not necessary?)
  • Without giving much else away what else do you use or would you recommend to me as bare minimum?

Cheers

Hi,

1. Windows Firewall

2. We use hardware firewalls provided by the Datacenter.

3. I would co-locate instead of rent to start off with, the switchover from renting to co-location usually leads to change of IP's and a bit of downtime ;)

1. For gaming servers we're using windows fw.

2. yes we have our own routers (Foundry BigIron and 2 little Cisco for customers)

3. If you ask this question, you are not ready ;) TCAdmin will help you alot, as you can forbid executables uploading but you have to secure your server and to protect it against a lot of issues (like Crysis's LUA issue, some other games allow users to execute external executables :( )

EDIT: i didnt read the second question, i responded from EG's response :)

1. Windows firewall. It's good enough and if you know how to script a batch file mass port opening is easy

2. We're only small, so we rely on the DC's routers

3. Good passwords, SSL encryption on the panel for your own logins (even if it is self-signed, it's still secure). As maddanny said, be careful of Lua scripts as they can access data outside their own directory (if only Windows had chroot!)

1. Windows firewall. It's good enough and if you know how to script a batch file mass port opening is easy

2. We're only small, so we rely on the DC's routers

3. Good passwords, SSL encryption on the panel for your own logins (even if it is self-signed, it's still secure). As maddanny said, be careful of Lua scripts as they can access data outside their own directory (if only Windows had chroot!)

SSL encryption - is this free?

So how do we counter these executables?

SSL encryption - is this free?

So how do we counter these executables?

SSL Certificates offer two forms of security - Encryption and Verification. When you buy a SSL certificate, you get both - Encryption and users are able to verify that you have a legitimate site. As this is just for the admin section, we only need Encryption (we know that we're a valid site!). So either generate one yourself via IIS, or head over to CACert and they will generate one for you. You will receive a warning when you visit the page that the Certification Authority is not trusted, but ignore it and continue. All data between you and the server is now encrypted.

TCAdmin prohibits the uploading of executables and other nasties by default I believe.

Archived