Beta Custom Server Build - Advise

RackGaming

So today I came into £800 and just at the right time. I am needing more dedicated servers. So I have set aside this money for a project which some people may see as OVERKILL TO HELL but after you hear my reasons you will understand.

We have alot of Private Servers COD4 they are spread across currently 6 Dedicated Servers. Now I figure if I could just relocate these thorns in my side I could free up the main resource hog for these COD4 servers (Memory) in total 12.5GB of memory used (cannot get this back) with this memory freed up I can sell more pubs which = 25% more profit per server.

My plan is to build a "Super Memory Dedi" supported by a High Grade CPU (Overclocked) then migrate all private / war servers over to this new box. Id still have enough memory left to sell around 15 public servers aswell. Remember the CPU will nto be used often by the private servers which is a no brainer, each war is used probibly 3 times per week (once for an horu or so). The CPU will be used to provide power to the 15 or so public servers which will all be 40 - 50 slotters.

What I need is to ask you guys and gals if this build is viable to what im looking to do, I feel the cost will be justified with a 2 month waiting period for the box to pay itself off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BUILD 2

OCZ 16GB (4x4GB) PC2-6400C5 Quad Channel (OverClockers.co.uk)

£241.49

X-Case RM 100 & Dynatron Model # P35 (Xcase.co.uk)

£171.29

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (OverClockers.co.uk)

£55.19

Asus P5Q Intel P45 (OverClockers.co.uk)

£97.74

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (Ebuyer) Will OC Stable To 3.6GHZ

£227.12

DVD±RW SATA (OverClockers.co.uk)

£16.09

TOTAL UK: £808.92 GBP

TOTAL USA: 1,195.32 USD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know your thoughts, and please don't bash with silly comments, Im looking for sound advise not critism.

Many Thanks!

It sounds like a good idea to transfer servers which are not active from production machines that are better used to serve live game servers.

The extra memory here will definitely help you because everything COD has always been a memory whore. What is with the "Quad Channel" memory? Maybe I'm not up to speed but never heard of that before. I would start by moving your existing private servers customers to this new server before adding any public servers. Just to get a baseline on what it can really handle.

I would also try stock settings on the CPU before OC'ing it.

The rest of the server sounds reasonable

Hey Creed,

Thanks for the input, I personally have no idea about quad channel lol I just figured it would help with the OC later on. However since posting this up Ive spent alot more time researching and doing some calculations. Ive decided against this build because I have a more cost effective way of not only storing the private servers but also hosting alot new pubs.

This build will only host pubs, The privates will be moved to our main Master machine which holds 20GB memory now.

New Build, Just payed for all the parts, You will see some parts missing but I have this covered.

---------------------

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail -

£163.29

Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H iG45 - Ebuyer Purchased!

£91.30

OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) PC2-6400C5 (Overclockers) Purchased!

£78.18

X-Case RM 100 & Dynatron Model # P35 (Xcase.co.uk) Purchased!

£171.29

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Overclockers.co.uk) Purchased!

£55.19

TOTAL: £560 odd

let me know if you think i can over clock the q6600 on air (Dynatron Model # P35 ) ;)

Archived