Australia - is it really that expensive?

gemcneill

I agree,

Down Under its real expensive. They charge equivilent to 3x 1u Co-Lo's for their base backage then you have to pay for your bandwidth and connection seperatly I.E 10MB, 100Mbit etc etc. SUX BIG TIME or we would have been there ripping it up like we are in the UK ;)

I looked at colo'ing a server downunder it is costly. it looks like a good deal until you read all of the details. The places I checked out only charged for outgoing bandwidth... WoW that is sweet... now back to earth. It was going to cost more per MB/s and they charged per CPU and u. It was going to cost about $400 a month for a basic plan, plus any overage fees charged per 1 MB/s.

• 4 weeks later...

In overseas locations it is clear to me that the actual hardware on a box is its limitation however i have found in Australia the limitation is the bandwidth you use.

In Australia if you purchase a Dual Xeon, 8GB Ram box, you would need to get a bloody good deal on bandwidth because if you fill that up and use it to its full potential you probably need 2TB of data which no providers give...

Just something to think about.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Bit of an old thread to dig up.

But just to keep it relevant i can do affordable collocation on a network built for gaming with Network Level DDoS protection which works. as most others aren't as effective.

Yatcko can As they are the network and datacentre provider for you.

On the other hand, GloGaming has our own purpose built gaming network at really affordable pricings

Please email sales@glovine.com.au if interested

Archived