Who can find me the cheapest hardware

dantheman420

I need to upgrade my personal desktop computer. My computer is AGP and I need to upgrade to PCI-E. I only want to spend like $160.00 max for a new motherboard and processor. I will find the video card and memory later. I tried looking on newegg myself and there is just so much stuff out there i am overwhelmed on what to get. So I wanted to ask the pro's in this forum if they can link me to some motherboard and processor deals.

Please help if you can,

Thanks!

It's best to start with how much you plan on spending on the whole system. But here's the start.

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775

MoBo ASUS P5N73-AM LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Micro ATX

$179.98

Then add this for a good gaming system:

Video Card EVGA 512-P3-N884-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked Edition I bought my brother one of these for Christmas and was surprised at the performance.

$164.99 with a $20 MIR $144.99

RAM G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

That mobo he listed doesn't support PCI-E 2.0

I'd go for a Gigabyte UD3R (~$100) - I have one and it's solid. Most new motherboards don't support AGP however, so you'll probably have to get your video card at the same time - unless you have another PCIE card laying around. (or get a motherboard with onboard video)

Here you go.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

You will need to add about $60 to the cost over the post above.

With my brother's system running a stock 4800x2, 2GB of DDR 400, and that card above it's a fast system. FarCry2, CoD4, CoD WaW, rFactor and ASR running at 1680 res works and looks good. That's why I don't put much in the 2.0 unless you are running a 285 or a 4870x2.

I got an e8400, but that might be over your budget. You can always go for an e5200 which is $80 (and you can overclock it easily). I use a GTX 260, but you can go for an 8800 or 9800 and still get pretty good performance in many games. The ATI 4850 (comparable with nvidia 8800) will probably give you the most bang for your buck if you want to go with ATI

Well I got a ATI x800 Pro right now and never tried nvidia. I kinda would like to try them instead of ATI. I heard from many, MANY people that nvidia is better then ATI.

You have fan boys on both sides of the camp. I buy the CPU, RAM or GPU that will get me the best bang for the buck. Also do some research go to hardocp.com and tomshardware.com to get good reports about products. When they do a benchmark it's real world not 3Dmark.

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: Jan. '09 : Best Cards For The Money: December Review/January Updates

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133205 (nvidia 8800gt) 115$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.152181 283$ (cpu + motherboard)(e8500)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231018 (gskill 2go of ram) 15$

Total : 413$

You can buy cheaper CPU and motherboard but these are in a pack and it's a good deal

Get the "GTX 260 Core 216" - it'll give you more performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

Make sure the card will fit in your case first though. It's about 10.5" long

Archived