Server problem, why?

CroX

Hello everybody, I have a big problem.

I buy 4months ago a new server with this config:

2x E5430 2.66ghz

6x 2gb kingstom FBDIMM

2x HDD WD raptor

I have windows 2003 server and TCadmin for manage the gameserver.

In this server like 2weeks ago I have a big problem of lag, crashing and something else.

I have 20 server on this server with 10% of cpu usage but a lot of ram usage, about 9gb.

Can I optimize the server? can reduce the usage of ram? because i think there is a problem in this server, it's impossibile have that big problem of lag in this new server...

Tnx a lot

ps: sry for my bad english ^^

Yes there are some things you can do and should do to optimize the server. The RAM usage will depend on the type of game servers you are running and the size of the Windows page files. If you set the value too high it reduces performance and will cause lag if you set it too low it will use too much RAM

The lag could also be an issue with the network and the amount of bandwidth you are using. Just because the server can handle 20 game installs does not mean that the network connection can.

What types of games are you running? Open the task manager and see which ones are using the most RAM.

Hello everybody, I have a big problem.

I buy 4months ago a new server with this config:

2x E5430 2.66ghz

6x 2gb kingstom FBDIMM

2x HDD WD raptor

I have windows 2003 server and TCadmin for manage the gameserver.

In this server like 2weeks ago I have a big problem of lag, crashing and something else.

I have 20 server on this server with 10% of cpu usage but a lot of ram usage, about 9gb.

Can I optimize the server? can reduce the usage of ram? because i think there is a problem in this server, it's impossibile have that big problem of lag in this new server...

Tnx a lot

ps: sry for my bad english ^^

I'm failing to see how you are using so much RAM with 20 servers?

Even if you said each server was using 350mb this would only use 7GB. Are you running any other RAM heavy software?

What Microsoft Server version are you using?

Also do you host your MYSQL on the same box? if so have you set it up to run as a MYSQL server?

One other thing you mentioned that this happened two weeks ago, was it a one time occurrence or is it happening all the time?

If only one time it could have been a dos attack.

I wouldn't chalk it up as a dos attack, that would affect the network performance and connectivity. It could however be a virus/malware/nasty script...... whats your security like? Do you run a firewall, antivirus etc etc?

It could be that some of the servers are running mods which have leaky script. Had you had the server running for a while without being restarted? Regularly restarting a machine (1nce a week is usally good enough) can keep memory and cpu usage getting out of hand.

Also, what are the 20 servers you are running? As although as steven pointed out, 100mbs will handle 20 64slot BF2142 servers, if all full, the memory usage ram may get a bit feisty.

If you can let us have an update then I'm sure that between us on here we should be able to point you in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you tell us which kind of servers do you host?

Maybe cod2 , cod4 , css?

Please send through mass mail to your users to modify the servers through server.cfg and not through cod rcon tool, it takes some space..

Archived