Ubuntu

Todd Holley

What do you think about it?

I played around with the desktop version a little bit..... seems alright. Don't know why but just doing some browsing on the internet consumed 2 of 8 cores completely......

With the server version..... I was going to install it but do not have time to mess around with my old p4 1u. I don't have a kvm here at home and just hate moving vga / network / ps2 cables around. I threw it in my tower machine but didn't have any empty hdd's laying around and I simply aborted the install.

Only problem I ran into is that the install ran fine with intel proc's and different raid configurations...... but for some reason will not load up on my new amd setup. :(

As always, just wanted to get some opinions. :)

I find it a nice starting place for linux, I have it on a couple machines. But then I have also customized it by compiling my own.

I like it for server use more then desktop, but if you want to stay with one flavor then I'd vote for ubuntu over the others.

Resource useage is one of the reasons I compile my own. Simular to windows it has a lot of stuff installed and turned on that are not needed. But this is fairly typical of any attempt to utilize an out of the box solution, as they are trying to make it fit a wide array of uses.

I use it for web, ftp server, VOIP, and a rsync server for backing up all my systems. Not all setups on the same machine, just some of the different uses I use it for.

Archived