Getting my Windows Certification

[cbl] jon

Hey gang, I am looking at getting my Windows Certification, Exam Course- 70-642, in Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, and Configuring. However I wanted to ask a few questions first...

Are you Windows certified? I have heard its not the easiest thing to pass, but do you have any suggestions?

And for some of you who operate your companies, if you see a person with a Windows Certification in this, would you hire them above another individual? Whats your stand point on this? And how much more valuable is the person to the company vs someone whom is not certified?

And any other suggestions??

I am training for my certification right now, and plan to get Certified sometime over the summer, but I could always use some pointers, and some inside advice...

Answering these questions will help me alot. I mainly wish to do this, to get a better chance at a job somewhere, so I can continue to pay my bills, so anything you have to offer advise wise would be GREATLY appreciated <3

Thanks guys ^_^

As to usefulness, I would hire someone with experience over someone with the certification. But I have it (for 2000 not 2008) and didn't find it that practical for real world. Where as several of the larger corporations I worked for practically required it to get hired.

I'd say its definitely a good thing to have in this field but don't expect it to get you a job. But thats just my view point.

As to usefulness, I would hire someone with experience over someone with the certification. But I have it (for 2000 not 2008) and didn't find it that practical for real world. Where as several of the larger corporations I worked for practically required it to get hired.

I'd say its definitely a good thing to have in this field but don't expect it to get you a job. But thats just my view point.

I have experience, I am just using this as icing to the cake :D:grin::p

It's just common sense really, but there are some stupid questions.

I disagree almost entirely. The windows Certification exams are not based on common sense, they are based on the facts that you learn in the exam books. Get the really thick blue ones, not the exam cram. I don't know how many times I took the windows xp mcp exam way back when, I finally had to read the server 2003 active directory exam book to pass it because it was NOTHING about windows xp on its own, but a mix of domain/printer sharing/etc... unrelated things that were not in the non-Microsoft training books.

The server 2008 exam is cake if you read the Microsoft book, and take the practice tests over, and over, and over and over and over again until you are above 90%.

SickPuppy

Re: Getting my Windows Certification

What you want to get is the MCSE.

This is wrong. The MCSE is the OLD Certifications

MCSA is now MCITP

MCSE is now MSTS for Server 2008.

I have received the MCITP certification for server 2008, MCTS in Exchange 2007 and a plethora of other Microsoft, Cisco and VMWare certifications. This is the way to go if you want to stand out of a crowd. I took on Exchange 2003 because I know people hate it, and I ended up loving it.

Either way, everything is always in your lap, so make the best choice/career path for the future that will make you happy.

-Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Any certification you can get is better for you, always just remember if your going to start it then put the effort in...It's not high school, and its not free. Study!, pay attention to the books, the knowledge is there and it absolutely can help you get a better job. Good for you bud! Good luck!

Find a good study partner if your one thats bad at tests, older people than your own age usually work better...You actually get some studying done :)

Once you pass that, go take another...And another...And another...And another...

Archived