Quad core Q8200

Mark9000

Ok. ive been setting up a server i got for my clan. we are also thinking about upgradeing ram on it. but here are barebone specs of my box.

Core 2 Quad Q8200

2GB DDR2 Memory

160GB HDD Hard Drive + 250 GB HDD Hard Drive

1000GB Transfer Bandwidth

100Mbps Uplink

5 IP Addresses

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 32bit

TCAdmin.

Now granted im only useing this for my clan ect. im wondering how many servers i can get out of it. im already running 2k fps Priv and i think like 3 1k FPS Servers and the server runs fines. im steady at 58% at 1.12GB Ram Useage. if i were to add more servers running The same 1k settings how many more do you think i could add?

adding 2 more gig memory on a 32bit os will only show 3 gigs maybe 3.75 If your thinking about upgrading back up your games to your second hard drive and have an os reinstall done and upgrade to 64bit. This would give you more room to add memory but then again it depends on how many players are on your servers.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Like proclan and others have said, you must move onto 64bit if you want to make the best of 2 gigs and more RAM. If you stay with 32bit and plan to upgrade, Windows will do it's best to utilize the RAM as best as it can, but it's not worth taking that chance whenever you can just go to 64bit, even if it takes time.

Goodluck and happy fragging

Since you're on windows server 2008, you can enable HPET in your bios if you haven't already. Bandwidth is going to be your limiting factor most likely. You could most likely add another 1k fps server, I wouldn't go over 70% cpu usage.

Since you're on windows server 2008, you can enable HPET in your bios if you haven't already. Bandwidth is going to be your limiting factor most likely. You could most likely add another 1k fps server, I wouldn't go over 70% cpu usage.

He wouldn't be hitting 1K fps without HPET enabled so I think we can assume he has already done so.

Depending on the slot size of those servers and how popular they are I think your 1TB of bandwidth may become an issue faster than you realize, especially if you keep adding more game servers to this one box.

Archived