Bug fix: Status: Running does not mean process is actually 'running'

choppergirl

The Action: Stop/Restart and Status: Not Running / Running TCAdmin webpage is a bogus illusion. When you click 'Start' for a process, the Status turns to 'Running' and remains on 'Running' until you click stop or TCAdmin is completely shutdown. This does not actually reflect at all if the process is actually running for real or not.

For one, the process can fail to launch (because it dies from an error, or the application name set to launch is set to the wrong thing). Click refresh on this page, and guess what, TCAdmin says the process is "Running" when its not at all. It can be dead as a doorknob and you clicking "Refresh", or relogining into this page, will report the process is "Running".

I can't begin to tell you how 'bogus' this is. The script is not checking at all if the process is actually running, but simply a toggle of the state from what button you clicked last time.

Likewise, I imagine if you click 'STOP', it will report the process is stopped, without acually checking to make sure the process is in fact dead.

This page needs fixing, because it 'assumes' too much. The maxim about making an assumption applies here... whenever you assume something, you make an ass out of you and me.

Get rid of this 'toggle state' code which is a bogus illusion, or better, at least add to it with an actual grep check of the process list to report on the REAL STATUS of the process and report that below. At best the "RUNNING" state simply means TCAdmin is in a mode to watch the process and try and restart it if it dies, but does not actually reflect if its running or not. It could be in an endless loop of restarting the process which instantly dies, because a bug in the process, or because the name of the process to launch has been set wrong, moved, or path is wrong.

CHOPPERGIRL

http://choppergirl.air-war.org

The process does run, the program may or may not. You must understand what it is telling you. There are also features in TcAdmin to have it check whether the program is running.

It is just like a service, becuase that is what it is it creates services, when I click start on a service in windows it changes to running. If I totaly messeed up the service iether in making it or bad files then the program will not start but the service will say it is running.

Just like TcAdmin but at least TcAdmin adds the ability to check and see if the program is running.

Archived