i7 920 vs Xeon X3350

dimitrifrom31

Im currently running my servers on Xeon X3350 and thinking to move to i7 920.

Is it worth moving everything? Are the CPU performances significantly better?

Would also be interested in knowing the CPU % used by some games like Arma2 that uses aprox 25% of the X3350.

Or CSS Tick100 that is using aprox 0.5% / slot when no mods running.

Ive read some reviews about that CPU but I would more likely trust GSP's advices as its more relevant for my particular case.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought id comment on this,

Myself another GSP owner (Well known) are upgrading to an i7 solution very soon, From our research (belive me its days of research) we are leaning towards a possible 40% extra resources. I myself run the best Core2Quad avilable, the Q9650, Its not bad at all, runs perfect and cost is okey at roughly £230 brand new, But the increase we would get would allow us to start hosting Arma2 and other CPU intensive games aswell without being bottlenecked.

Just my thoughts.

P.S Remember no Onboard VGA's with ANY I series board!!!

Just thought id comment on this,

Myself another GSP owner (Well known) are upgrading to an i7 solution very soon, From our research (belive me its days of research) we are leaning towards a possible 40% extra resources. I myself run the best Core2Quad avilable, the Q9650, Its not bad at all, runs perfect and cost is okey at roughly £230 brand new, But the increase we would get would allow us to start hosting Arma2 and other CPU intensive games aswell without being bottlenecked.

Just my thoughts.

P.S Remember no Onboard VGA's with ANY I series board!!!

I agree that i7 is a gd solution, Ive been trying 1 machine configured with i7 920 and 12GB ram and arma2 uses like 15% CPU vs 25% on a xeon x3350-3360.

I will most likely move all my servers onto these new configs.

Go with the i7, the reason why I'd switch is because current quads are just 2 duo's sandwiched together. The i7, however, is not. The HT alone makes it worth it in my opinion.

I know I am not a GSP owner, but I do rent a lot of servers, sell a lot of servers. And for my community we tested out the core i7 to see how many TF2 servers we can run from my standards before.

On current quads I'd run 1x 32 slot TF2 server per core (4 servers on a quad). 1000 FPS, and 1gb RAM for my rule of thumb. Well with the Core i7 and HT. I can now run 1 per thread (2 per core) and everything was awesome.

I don't know how you GSP's have your standards for other games, but just with the core i7, I think you'd be able to fit more from the extra threads.

Archived