Chkdsk and Defrag

gemcneill

I was wondering what all the GSPs out there were doing with Reg scheduled maintenance. I was thinking about moving this to 1 a week and do a server restart, chkdsk , defrag. Is this to often? I dont want to defrag the drive to death, but I am sure that the hard drive fragmentation is high on game server drives. What do yall think?

George

Im defragging once a week, cant give feedback yet as I started monday.

I used to defrag occasionaly and noticed it was taking hours so decided to make it more frequent.

you can schedule a chkdsk at every boot using the task scheduler, mark the drive as dirty in a bat and restart.

Let me know how you get on and if it is actually beneficial, server-side based. :)

I reboot once a week and I can see a real benefit on RAM usage so I decided to defrag aswell before rebooting.

With game servers created/deleted + user files uploaded (new mods etc) you get some GB fragged every week and if you dont defrag frequently it then takes hours. I got HDD of 1Tb so once a week is just fine for me but may be too much for GSP with different configs/customers.

can someone post me a bat for defrag,and reboot.

I tried defrag C: -f-v but it seems that it is not working.

Also made for restart but it dont work....I am little bit confused, they should work.

So, if it is not problem 4 someone to post it here to see am I doing it right

can someone post me a bat for defrag,and reboot.

I tried defrag C: -f-v but it seems that it is not working.

Also made for restart but it dont work....I am little bit confused, they should work.

So, if it is not problem 4 someone to post it here to see am I doing it right

thats something u can find in 10 sec on google.

reboot :

Tsshutdn 1 /reboot

defrag :

defrag c:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived