x3550 M2

shapka

hi ppl , just wanted to start selling game servers ..

want some professional opinion for this server as start for my business)

what do you think of this server ? should i need to put more ram on start ?

IBM Xseries X3550 M2 Server

x3550 M2,Xeon QC E5504 2.0,2x1GB,2.5" HS SAS/SAT

2GB x3 PC3-10600 ECC DDR3 Chipkill VLP RDIMM 1Rank

x2 IBM 500GB 2.5in SFF Slim-HS 7.2K NL SATA HDD

hi ppl , just wanted to start selling game servers ..

want some professional opinion for this server as start for my business)

what do you think of this server ? should i need to put more ram on start ?

IBM Xseries X3550 M2 Server

x3550 M2,Xeon QC E5504 2.0,2x1GB,2.5" HS SAS/SAT

2GB x3 PC3-10600 ECC DDR3 Chipkill VLP RDIMM 1Rank

x2 IBM 500GB 2.5in SFF Slim-HS 7.2K NL SATA HDD

if u plan to host games such as GTR or arma better go with an 8 core.

I started with X3350 and im now moving to i7-920 and regret that I didnt start directly with it.

Yes, that system will support up to two of the 5500 series Xeons. Per your post it looks as though you have one 5504, rendering you 4 cores. Dual 5504s will give you 8 cores (550x processors has no hyper threading).

If you step up to one 5520, you will have 8 cores (4 cores + hyper threading). Dual 5520s will give you 16 cores (8 cores + hyper threading).

Some people will talk your ears off about hyper threading having no benefits to hosting game servers, but everyone has their opinion. Do what works for you.

Yes, that system will support up to two of the 5500 series Xeons. Per your post it looks as though you have one 5504, rendering you 4 cores. Dual 5504s will give you 8 cores (550x processors has no hyper threading).

If you step up to one 5520, you will have 8 cores (4 cores + hyper threading). Dual 5520s will give you 16 cores (8 cores + hyper threading).

Some people will talk your ears off about hyper threading having no benefits to hosting game servers, but everyone has their opinion. Do what works for you.

O, the terrible hyper threading :) haaa

It doesn't make the machine worse just sadly doesn't help it either at least last time I used hyper threading but could have got better by now.

Archived