Are we going to be out of a job soon?

Redeye

Hi Guys,

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the arrogance that we have been confronted the past few months from the Gamedevelopers and the guys releasing the games.

It started with BF2, where only selected hosters where allowed to host Ranked servers. Two months ago we caught by surprise that COD MW2 was not release with a dedicated server, but instead only hosted servers by the gamedevelopers themself.

Now with BFBC2 it's looking more and more that EA is going to use selected hosters for Ranked server and as far as I can tell, no unranked servers will be released, at least I read nothing, anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised that MOH which will be released later this year will be setup in the same way.

There aren't a lot of good new games coming out, and those who are popular are not for the majority of the hosters anymore.

If this continues, in time, this could be the end of alot of hosters.

I don't want to sound like a dramaqueen and I do not have the solution to this. I hope that this triggers a normal discussion about this situation, with maybe some ideas how to deal with this.

I think that its a fluctuation, or at least I hope so, and I think it will come back around.

It's the modding community that keeps games alive, you only have to look at the counter strike series, and other similar games to see just how much of an effect it makes.

And if the modding community keeps the game alive, people will keep buying it, which is what the developers want.

Give them time to test this way of doing things, and I think they will also see that that is the case.

Additionally, if they do, it leaves a big gap in the hosted games community for new talent to comet through, that don't have the ability to be so brash, and will be reliant on the hosted games industry to get a foothold.

So either way, there will be something there for us, we just have to be sure we are taking all the opportunities we can :)

I am hoping for some new talent to come out with creating good games for the gaming community, kind of like small operation for some blockbuster games. And I am not a Mac person myself.. but it came out of some guys house. I would throw my support against them.

For some GSP's, its a hard time but we must all have something that make us unique and define us from the competition. I know its not easy and that sometime we have someone to screw us up (i will not name some game publisher/competitor) but we made the choice to be in business. If everything was easy, im not sure we would understand the meaning of what we do and how we got our things.

Where are not the only one to get some shit on our head. I could name a tons of business that closed. In any domain its like this, the only exception is that we do not make millions of dollars and still have our bonus like the American Bank even if we loose clients/money.

A personnal not here : My father is an Hair Stylist and the only advise he told me when we started was this ;

"I hope you understand that working for yourself is not easy and that whatever you do, your always on the edge. Dont sleep, be aware and always have a backup plan, for your business or for you. What made me continue, after many deception and money loss is my talent, my way of working and time. I had to be awake for any possible danger."

I know that some people will say, its cliché but its like this and the day he told me that i had to take the time to think about is business life with 2 kids on is back and say ; Do i want to maybe go in that direction. Im sure many GSP's or Hosting Provider did not even think about anything and simply open but im pretty sure many of them closed within a short period of time.

You could have the best idea on earth, the skill and the money to create it, if its not the good time, it will not work. Its my way of thinking.

• 1 month later...

Definitely very trying times...with the economy the way it is, and the market slowly dwindling with the inability to host popular games, diminishing of league play, and heavy competition it definitely makes me think what I can possibly do to compete.

What really needs to happen is GSPs need to unite and think of new creative ways to bring in a larger market, and rally against monopolistic developers.

How about rallying together and starting new gaming leagues? How about organizing movements against Ventrilo, EA and others whom refuse to allow many of us to host their services.

There is still a lot of potential out there, this is just a really rough time, but definitely possible to overcome.

It would be nice if the providers stuck together, and kept a fair price -- This way, people could actually profit and make money, and a percentage of that money could be used to lobby the developers to utilize our platforms and even build to suit our industry. You'd be surprised what a few dollars invested would help do to this trade. Instead of fighting each other, and lowering lowering and lowering the price of everything some need to think of the future, and understand that today isn't tomarrow and a keen foresight is the key to longevity.

ppl are sheeps, so are GSP's. As long as there will be sheeps for their licenced/ranked server system and not enough ppl to boycott it, it will just keep growing. And I doubt the day GSP's will act all together with solidarity for the gaming will come. Its just about time, soon you will have to pay for every single game you want to host, this will lead to monopolistic situations and only a couple of companies will survive.

Those who think they do the right thing now being ranked partners are just making this happen faster.

And no im not some random mad gsp who didnt get licensed : I never applied for this bullsh*t and I hope I will never have to. That being said, I might be forced to if this becomes a threat for my business and I hope I will find another way.

It would be nice if the providers stuck together, and kept a fair price -- This way, people could actually profit and make money, and a percentage of that money could be used to lobby the developers to utilize our platforms and even build to suit our industry. You'd be surprised what a few dollars invested would help do to this trade. Instead of fighting each other, and lowering lowering and lowering the price of everything some need to think of the future, and understand that today isn't tomarrow and a keen foresight is the key to longevity.

It would be "nice" is the key word but we all know it won't happen and if you think it will you are a naive. It's business let's be real.

Personally I have to dissagree with the it would be nice for GSPs to unite. The GSP market is flooded allready. There is only so much room for bussiness in any field and I think the rough road ahead will simply help to discourage and weed out those without a real desire to work in the field and ideas to bring to the table.

There is allready a unity that is quite effective at spreading information for those willing to look and I just don't feel that making that unity stronger would be benificiall in the long run.

• 8 months later...

I think developers are really taking the p*** out of the industry that supported them. Lets be honest, you buy a game, you play it, once you finished it, you are done with it. The multiplay version retains interest in the game, and for developers to shun the industry that has supported them at their own expense is out of this world.

They need to pull their finger out and understand that online gaming would not have developed so highly without the GSP's that provided the service to make it so.

Sorry to open up an old thread but i felt the need to rant.

Archived