Best way to install DVD game with NO DVD-ROM!

OK, so all our servers are HP rackmounted boxes with the standard CD-ROM drive...

I want to get Call of Duty 2 on them without having to take my laptop to the data-center and mapping its DVD drive to the servers.

Can I install the game on my PC and then just take a copy of the files on an external HD? Or does it actually have to 'installed' to run the server?

I mentioned the registry files for patches I don't know any other way to add a patch unless the registry files are on the machine and pointing to the install directory???

Especially as there is a patch on way

Its not for a clean install either, its so that you can patch your 'installed files' that you have copied from your portable hardrive

24play1,

Doing it your way, you would need to download the patch, install it on the game install you have set in the registry, then edit the registry for the next install, apply patch again, and do it again for each install on that server. Then go to the next server and do it for each install there too.

So it would be best to do a clean install on one server, add the registry settings for it, and then when a patch comes out, use the TCA patch script to create the patch, and then use that to patch all of your installs.

no you've misunderstood me (apologies)

You've said you don't need them

I said you do for patches

I have one 'master' on my file server with registry entries on that machine so I can patch the install then use TcAdmin to update all the others as you've said above

Thanks again guys.

Yes I know you need a 'master installation' somewhere (same as FarCry).

I've got a master servern with all the games installed, so I'll just update those and then copy across the files to the relevant game servers.

Is the tcadmin script thing easy to set up?

Archived