TCAdmin install/configuration service?

Hello all...

OK...I've been hosting game servers through a GSP for several years now (we have 6 dedicated servers hosted through them). I've known for some time that they get their servers from Serverbeach, and I've also seen the kind of markup they put on those servers when they pass them on to their customers (anywhere from 25% - 75%). The same server - from the exact same datacenter/company they get theirs from - I just bought for $219 a month, when they offered it to me for $489 a month.

Aside from the TCAdmin GCP, I've been pretty much maintaining the servers myself, to include all Sourcemod/Metamod installs and upgrades, steam updates, etc. I have what I would call a "novices" knowledge of game hosting, in that I can usually handle most of my problems without needing to resort to submitting a support ticket.

Recently, serverbeach was offering one hell of a deal on a DQC 5520 box for less than HALF what the GSP was offering it for. Wanting to see if I could save some $$$ by cutting out the (GSP) middleman, I want ahead and leased one of those, and purchased a TCAdmin master server license.

Unfortunately, after two days of struggling with this thing, it seems I'm no closer to being able to install/manage my own game servers on it than I was when I started. I fully realize the TCAdmin folks have no interest in supporting people that have little to no experience in setting up and running servers from a command line, so I thought I would ask this here:

Are there any freelancers or services out there that will setup and configure a TCadmin installation on a game server for a fee?

To be precise, I need:

1. Complete installation of all HL2/Source game files

2. Installation and setup of TS3 files

Honestly....all I was looking for was the same simple functionality of the TCAdmin GCP I get from a GSP, without all this hassle. The documentation on this site is sparse at best. I'm not looking to setup a game hosting business, I just want to stop getting raped by GSP's :mad:

Well written request mate, its nice to not see a lazy post for once. My community aswell runs all our own hardware, and saves us quite a penny over a gameserver provider.

A particular forum member here used to run a company VetWebhosting, and gameadminpanel.com , his name is JasonF and he can set all of this up for you quickly, and affordably, and not send a sales pitch down your throat whilst doing so. He's helped out many forum members here.

I know he closed new orders awhile back, but you might be able to still get this done by sending him a private email.

Utilize the following form:

http://www.gameadminpanel.com/contact_us.php

If Jason should not accept the work, or is unresponsive we also can do this for you, for a nominal price and would include securing the machines and performance modifications, enhancements, and setting permissions. However, my time is more pricey than some of the others here so I recommend the above to get the job done!

If your unhappy, or get lackluster responses from them, then give me a hollar and we'll get you taken care of quickly. I also will not throw you a sales pitch :)

Best luck, and best regards!

Now u know why your GSP asked you an extra :)

Good luck with your setup, Id recommend you to post exactly where ur stuck at if you want help, else you can get paid help from ppl around.

From my part and tbh I bill 20€/hour (€, not $). Setting up TCA on a master "should" take about 1 hour, maybe 2 depending on what you have done already.

If you got it running but only need those games and TS3 then thats gona be fast however note that if you dont have a licence you will be able to host only 1*32 slots TS3 server.

And if you need another extra feel free to check my signature, I have sold/installed some of those features for a few teams too as it makes daily's maintenance easier.

It can be done, just be carefull there is more to it then just setup. The GSP is constanly doing things behind the scenes with tcadmin to keep thinks simple on your dedicated box.

I'd suggest going to the advertising thread and looking there was one of the members that was offering detailed tutorials, that got good reviews, for all the different things that need to be done for everything to run smoothly.

Not trying to sell you the GSP as you seem willing to put the work in, just hate to see you pay someone cash to set things up now just to be up a creek without a paddle in a month or two becuase they did all the work and you learned nothing, and maintenance is as or more important then setup.

Well written request mate, its nice to not see a lazy post for once. My community aswell runs all our own hardware, and saves us quite a penny over a gameserver provider.

A particular forum member here used to run a company VetWebhosting, and gameadminpanel.com , his name is JasonF and he can set all of this up for you quickly, and affordably, and not send a sales pitch down your throat whilst doing so. He's helped out many forum members here.

I know he closed new orders awhile back, but you might be able to still get this done by sending him a private email.

Utilize the following form:

http://www.gameadminpanel.com/contact_us.php

If Jason should not accept the work, or is unresponsive we also can do this for you, for a nominal price and would include securing the machines and performance modifications, enhancements, and setting permissions. However, my time is more pricey than some of the others here so I recommend the above to get the job done!

If your unhappy, or get lackluster responses from them, then give me a hollar and we'll get you taken care of quickly. I also will not throw you a sales pitch :)

Best luck, and best regards!

Actually, I tried that service first, but he did in fact refund my payment with a note saying they are not taking on any additional customers :) funny that you mention throwing sales pitches, as a couple of offers for "help" were just that (not that I begrudge someone trying to earn some business, but there you are).

At any rate...I was actually finally able to get some (L4D 2) test servers installed, and was able to connect/play on the servers without any issues that I could see.

The only other question I have refers to the actual server settings . Here's my setup:

Dual Xeon 5520 DQC

6 GB

Windows 2008 Web edition (64 bit)

1. If I turn the windows firewall completely off, will the server be secure? If not, what settings should I use?

2. Are there any other optimizations I should perform to the server itself?

This server will be used exclusively for Source-based games (TF2, L4D, Goldeneye).

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. If any TCAdmin folks are reading this, as one of the a "larger" gaming communities, I think I can say with confidence that you are missing out on a significant portion of the market by not having better quality documentation/instructional information available. If this whole process was a bit more "user-friendly" alot of game server operators would beat a path to your door ;)

Actually, I tried that service first, but he did in fact refund my payment with a note saying they are not taking on any additional customers :) funny that you mention throwing sales pitches, as a couple of offers for "help" were just that (not that I begrudge someone trying to earn some business, but there you are).

At any rate...I was actually finally able to get some (L4D 2) test servers installed, and was able to connect/play on the servers without any issues that I could see.

The only other question I have refers to the actual server settings . Here's my setup:

Dual Xeon 5520 DQC

6 GB

Windows 2008 Web edition (64 bit)

1. If I turn the windows firewall completely off, will the server be secure? If not, what settings should I use?

2. Are there any other optimizations I should perform to the server itself?

This server will be used exclusively for Source-based games (TF2, L4D, Goldeneye).

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. If any TCAdmin folks are reading this, as one of the a "larger" gaming communities, I think I can say with confidence that you are missing out on a significant portion of the market by not having better quality documentation/instructional information available. If this whole process was a bit more "user-friendly" alot of game server operators would beat a path to your door ;)

1. If you turn off the firewall your server will still be secure, but I highly suggest changing the default username (done in control panel) & the default rdp port (done in the registry).

2. There some optimizations you can do, but many here won't just tell you since it's a "trade secret".

I think there thinking is the same as many, its way easier and cheaper to sell to the big boys, and then let the big boys sell to the community.

It costs a lot of money in prep and then ongoing support to try and support every end user. And there are many GSPs out there that do not mark up there dedicated servers by much as they own them instead of just reselling.

I think there thinking is the same as many, its way easier and cheaper to sell to the big boys, and then let the big boys sell to the community.

It costs a lot of money in prep and then ongoing support to try and support every end user. And there are many GSPs out there that do not mark up there dedicated servers by much as they own them instead of just reselling.

Second that ;)

IMO, the software really isn't that difficult to run, and the documention while it doesn't sparkle at you, still does cover the majority of situations, with the forums filling in the rest.

Also keep in mind that they are developing Version2, and I'm sure a rewrite of the documentation will be coming for that - There really is no reason to rewrite/spend time on the documentation for v1 any longer at this point.

Archived