Which hdd?!

Goran

Which one?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Velociraptor 300GB
    • RE4 2TB

Depends on what your using it for.

If your using it for game servers priority, get the velociraptor.

If your using it for a backup storage or just to store extra mods, etc. get the 2TB since you will need it.

I can't wait until SSD becomes more affordable, haha wonder how fast that would be :p

I am already running SSD at my personal home computer, but the storage are still to low and still to expensive.

We use a combination of drives. A small 150 Gig Raptor drive for the operating system and either a 500 or a 1 TB 7200 RPM drive for the game installs. Some of the servers have 2 500 Gig drives. We have even experimented with a SSD in a few of the servers.

What I can tell you from our experience is do not waste your money on the Raptor or SSD's the increased speed does not boost overall server performance that much.

Spend your money on faster CPU's and RAM. That is where you will get the best increase in performance.

No matter what drives you use always keep the operating system and game installs on a different drives.

We keep spare drives on hand with the OS pre installed that way if a drive fails we just ship a new one out and the server is back online the next day. If a game install drive fails we just replace it and reinstall the games.

The only reason we use Raptor drives for the OS is because we have pulled them out of used servers that we upgraded. I have 6 or 8 of the just sitting here at the office.

We have even experimented with a SSD in a few of the servers.

What I can tell you from our experience is do not waste your money on the Raptor or SSD's the increased speed does not boost overall server performance that much.

Spend your money on faster CPU's and RAM. That is where you will get the best increase in performance.

We too ran some SSD's for awhile but found they had near no effect. I'll agree 100% with SickPuppy!

Me again,

Didn't want to open a new thread for almost same topic.

Anyway we are currently looking to buy velociraptor WD3000HLFS 3.5, does anyone have this type of chasis : Link with hot swap?

Does the velociraptor fit in or? We would go for 2.5 version but it's hard to find on our market here.

Thanks.

Edit: Is the heatsink removable?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived