Interact with desktop

GrossKopf

I previously posted this under another name because I had forgotten I had this account, so I'm reposting it in the appropriate place.

As some of you may remember, I host BC2 admin tools like PRoCon and B3 for BC2 admins on two dedicated servers. With PRoCon, I've found that in order for my customers to connect to PRoCon, it HAS to be run with Interact With Desktop enabled. With others, it runs find without it. This is on Windows 2008 Server Standard, 64 bit. Does anyone have any clue why this would be?

To run it without interact with desktop set it to run the service as admin. You will have to do that in the services, you can't just right click like you do on your desktop PC.

The thing is, as I said, that some of the instances of PRoCon run without interact with desktop enabled and some don't, so I don't see how that could do anything.

Login to the box as console, and see if there are any errors - Or any popups that are stalling the services.

In order todo this, change the RDP command to the following:

“%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe”

to

“%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe –console”

Then connect, and you'll be connected to the console terminal, this is where all the interact with desktop stuff will go.

Login to the box as console, and see if there are any errors - Or any popups that are stalling the services.

In order todo this, change the RDP command to the following:

“%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe”

to

“%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe –console”

Then connect, and you'll be connected to the console terminal, this is where all the interact with desktop stuff will go.

I don't use any sort of command lines to remote into my servers. I just use the RDP tool from the start menu/accessories and it's the same thing and there's no pop ups on the desktop. I think this is more of a specific problem with PRoCon. I've sent in the debug file from one instance that behaved this way so hopefully the author will find the problem. I'm not entirely convinced it's a problem with TCAdmin.

yeah, if you rightclick on the rdp tool and goto properties, and add -console at the end of the target field then use the RDP tool to connect to your server.

This will connect you to the server as if you were sitting right in front of it (the console session).. This is where any of the popups/error messages etc will be displayed when the "interact with desktop" selection is checked. You may be able to find an error, or more information that might lead to what the problem is and why 1 instance runs but another doesn't.

To stop it from connect to console, remove that -console in the same properties area for the RDP tool.

-Adam

The thing is, as I said, that some of the instances of PRoCon run without interact with desktop enabled and some don't, so I don't see how that could do anything.

With ASR and rFactor and 2008 x64 you have to do what I said if you run more that 5 servers on the box. If you don't the 6th server will not boot unless you stop one of the other servers. 2008 x64 is not like 2003 x64 and some games and programs have to be made to run the service as admin for them to work correctly. Did you try what I said to see if it worked? I didn't suggest because I wanted to blow smoke. I suggested it because I've had to do it in the past!

yeah, if you rightclick on the rdp tool and goto properties, and add -console at the end of the target field then use the RDP tool to connect to your server.

This will connect you to the server as if you were sitting right in front of it (the console session).. This is where any of the popups/error messages etc will be displayed when the "interact with desktop" selection is checked. You may be able to find an error, or more information that might lead to what the problem is and why 1 instance runs but another doesn't.

To stop it from connect to console, remove that -console in the same properties area for the RDP tool.

-Adam

I had entered the "%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe –console” command and I got the exact same desktop that I do just by using the RDP tool without -console put onto it.

With ASR and rFactor and 2008 x64 you have to do what I said if you run more that 5 servers on the box. If you don't the 6th server will not boot unless you stop one of the other servers. 2008 x64 is not like 2003 x64 and some games and programs have to be made to run the service as admin for them to work correctly. Did you try what I said to see if it worked? I didn't suggest because I wanted to blow smoke. I suggested it because I've had to do it in the past!

I have no idea what ASR or rFactor is. In regards to your previous suggestion, TCAdmin is already running as an administrator.

I have no idea what ASR or rFactor is. In regards to your previous suggestion, TCAdmin is already running as an administrator.

NOT TCadmin. You have to go to services and manually set the service to run with admin credentials. When you ask and someone tells you they have had the same problem and you argue with them without trying it good luck to you.

The difference between logging into remote desktop with and without console are:

No Console - Your logging into session 1 or higher

Console - You are logging into session 0 or the current active session on the server which is where services that are checked to interact with desktop appear on the screen in Windows Server 2003 and 2008. Which is equivalent to logging into the server locally at the datacenter using KVM or directly attached keyboard and mouse.

NOT TCadmin. You have to go to services and manually set the service to run with admin credentials. When you ask and someone tells you they have had the same problem and you argue with them without trying it good luck to you.

All of the services are already running as admin.

Anyway, it looks like I found out what the problem was. I had to disable the Interactive Services Detection. With that disabled, so far, I've been able to run PRoCon with Interact with Desktop OFF and I haven't had any duplicate instances of it running.

The difference between logging into remote desktop with and without console are:

No Console - Your logging into session 1 or higher

Console - You are logging into session 0 or the current active session on the server which is where services that are checked to interact with desktop appear on the screen in Windows Server 2003 and 2008. Which is equivalent to logging into the server locally at the datacenter using KVM or directly attached keyboard and mouse.

Your explanation makes more sense than the others, but only because someone recently mentioned Session 0 and I know what it is now. :)

I added the -console to the RDP shortcut and I've been using that. So, if I understand you correctly, I've been logging on session 1 (or higher) and starting PRoCon but it's been running on session 0 also, which could have cause some of my problems.

This really wasn't a TCAdmin problem although I didn't have the problem when I tried FireDaemon.. maybe it's a combination, but for now it seems to have been fixed per my previous reply and that's what really counts. :)

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm reviving this topic again because suddenly I've got PRoCon and Wolfcon requiring interact with desktop to be checked. Not every instance of either requires it, but I've been getting support tickets telling me people can't connect, and when I try it with Interact with Desktop checked, suddenly they can connect again.

Very strange problem but I find it hard to believe no one else has had this happen.

Ok, I'm reviving this topic again because suddenly I've got PRoCon and Wolfcon requiring interact with desktop to be checked. Not every instance of either requires it, but I've been getting support tickets telling me people can't connect, and when I try it with Interact with Desktop checked, suddenly they can connect again.

Very strange problem but I find it hard to believe no one else has had this happen.

you can use install scripts to make your service interact with desktop when they get created

• 2 weeks later...
you can use install scripts to make your service interact with desktop when they get created

I don't want them to interact with desktop. That's the whole point. It's my understanding that having that enabled can cause issues with Windows 2008, plus it uses more resources. If this isn't true, please tell me. :)

the resource issue can be swayed either way, now it can cause other issues with running with the desktop and that is the special session it creates for everything. You really should refrain from running anything in 'Interact with Desktop' as much as possible. I would check on lpgservers response and see if that is a possibility, cause running with iwd enabled can cause different issues with ports and bindings.

Archived