Players can connect even without Firewall Exception?

funkiie

Hi,

I am security testing a new TCAdmin install but having difficulty troubleshooting a problem.

The game configrations (COD2, COD4, CSS) are configured with install scripts that add the Windows Firewall exceptions and commands that configure each game service with unique windows user (added security). These works as expected.

If I disable a Windows Firewall exception for a game server or create a game server without the Firewall exceptions the game server is still accessible.

The only other exceptions (program or ports) enabled are TeamSpeak3, http, https, punkbuster and TCAdmin.

Surely, you should not be able to connect to a game server behind a firewall unless the exceptions are in place?

Can anyone help or suggest further troubleshooting actions?

Funkiie

Server setup:

Windows Server 2003 SP2 (64-Bit)

TCAdmin 1.0.3810.30070

Why I posted this question as it does not make any sense why this is happening.

Firewall is proven to be on e.g. disable TeamSpeak3 exception and you lose connection to TS3.

Regardless, whether an exception exists or not you can still connect to a game server as a player.

Im with funkie , i have noticed i can connect to css game but cant use rcon unless it is added as a exception , but i can also connect to cod4/cod2 and Cs use rcon without exceptions open. would that mean there is a problem one game needs exceptions to use rcon but the other 3 do not??

any ideas many thanks so far !

should i be worried , i had so many secrutiy issues in my last data centre, i really am testing the security of the server , hence im noticing things many wouldnt!

Asked a guy i know gsp too what fire wall you using can you connect to the games with out exceptions ticked! his reply hang on i look ! "shit im not running firewall"

So hoping for some very clever heads to help me :)

Archived