Virtualization for game servers

Drakar

Does anyone have experience using virtualization for game servers?

I think that can be a good idea to optimize energy and space to sell instead dedicated with tcadmin, several vps with tcadmin but I don't know if the performance can be good and can have problems with windows clock, by example with CSS and so on.

Which could be the ideal environment? Virtuozzo, ESX, XEN?

Thank you

VPS + gameservers = yuck!!!

Oh and tcadmin doesn't support VPS so you are on your own with any bugs that come up, and just watch the trouble tickets come in that server isn't performing upto par.

VPS are great for things that are more taxing on Ram and Hard drive space, but not so hot for anything taxing the CPU, and drive read and writes.

Thank you for your replies, I will forget it.

And a last question. Have you tested VPS with RFACTOR but without TCA? I tell this because rfactor customers wants IIS, custom DLLs and RDP.

I host rfactor servers and you dont need all of this.

Custom dll's : just add mods to your cpanel

IIS : ??? what for ? if thats for hotlaps you can install it manually for each customer or automatically using install scripts for exemple

RDP : theres no need of rdp for rfactor. Everything can be done via tcadmin afaik

Archived