Servers stealing each others ports

KillcoDer

Hi,

It seems that servers are starting to steal ports from each other. A server will bind itself to the correct port and a second port belonging to another server. The server that has had its port stolen obviously doesn't function. The only way I have found to fix this is to restart both servers. However, lately some of the CS 1.6 servers are binding to the wrong ports completely, and aren't being used by other servers.

I hear that this is a common problem, is there any way to fix it?

u got too many servers on the same IP would be my guess.

Exemple with CSS :

by default server binds to 27015 and source tv to 27020

if you dont "force" the tv port than you cant install more than 4 servers on a same IP else the 5th will try to use 27020 as server port which is already used by the TV of your very first server.

Besides that the game listens on another port (something like 27030 +/-) so even if you had the tv "forced on 37015 by default for exemple you cant set more than 15 servers on a same IP (actually it must be a lil more than 15)

Use tcpview and you will have confirmation or not of my guess.

Provided your command line properly specifies the starting port the server will try and start on that port. But the server will automatically try and use a different port if it finds its port in use by anything else. Sourcetv is the most common culprit. But the fix no matter what is the same, identify what is grabbing the port and either account for it in your port configuration or eliminate it from the machine.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell the game server it is not allowed to seek out another port so it is up to you to stay on top off ALL ports used by ALL applications on your machine.

netstat can be a helpful command for identifying what is using what ports

Archived