recommendations on a setup suitable for TCAdmin

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

so i have a really good computer at the moment, i have many questions

my specs are

24 GB of DDR3 triple of GSKILL RipJaws

core i7 980x 3.6 stock (6 cores, 12 threads) did have it running @ 4 GHz got pretty hot

asus rampage extreme 3 motherboard

atm a 500 GB HDD i am looking @ getting a 240 GB pci SSD for the OS/es

My setup atm is win7 ultimate 64 bit w/ vmware. So what would your reccomendations be?

i am not overly fussed on win7 for running game servers on, but i have used windows server 08 32 & 64 bit before they do work well. i have setup a few CS:S, TF2, L4D1 L4D2 Servers before, used firedaemon to keep them running

so after typing all this down i am throwing and idea out there feed back i have come up with this

win7 ultimate 64 bit (24 GB of ram) > vmware > windows server 08

not sure how much ram yet, you can size up or down on the fly i think

and a 3.6 GHz processor i can give any VMs up to 6 core and 12 threads just like win7

any suggestions would be fantastic!

Avoid virtual machines for game servers. If you want to host games you should be useing dedicated boxes. On os I'd reccomend server 08 if you'll be doing newer games, if you're only doing older o es I'd stick with server 03.

Total power depends on what you want to load onto it. The more game instances you want per machine the better the specs but remember you are limited by your most restrictive piece of hardware. Often hard drive read and write speed.

• 1 month later...

One other issue you may also run into with VM's and this depending on what your using to Visualize the setup is going to be if you can support a 64bit Guest on your current Processors via virtualization and as studeggle said your I/O or read write on the drives will absolutely kill you no matter how much "Ram" you can stick on a system board.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived