Xeon Vs. Core i7

cmdbash

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jason and im part of a group of people who actively working hard at establishing a small GSP business based out of NJ (though our servers will be located in Michigan to start) we have a bit of a bind here.

Since this is our first attempt at establishing this business we want to know what is a good setup for our first server rack would be. Recently I was reading up on how the Core i7-970 has a better performance benchmark than the Xeon E5620 and we were wondering if we should go with Core i7 or Xeon?

Also could you give us a good idea what kind of specs we would need to run 30 or so servers with TCAdmin Master and Web service.

30 servers of which game?

Also if you can separate the TCA Web and game services thats ways better.

The majority of our sales will likely come from Half-Life and Half-Life 2 gaming engines as well as Teamspeak 3.

As for the TC web goes, I was hoping to have the TCAdmin Web and Master on one managed server then we would buy remote servers, instead of having to rent out a VPS for the Web.

if u can use 1 server for web and voice so u can use others for games only.

30+ game servers u need a dual quad core with 10-12 Gb of RAM.

How about this setup?

Processor: Intel Xeon Processor X3440, 2.53 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT

500 GB SATA 3.5-in Hot Plug Hard Drive (7200 RPM) [QTY : 4] RAID 1

12 GB Memory (6x2GB), 1333MHz Dual Ranked RDIMMs for 2 Processor, Optimized

not sure about the CPU but I guess its fine even if its not a dual quad

Raid1 is not a gd idea for game servers better use raid 0. You can use raid1 for OS and raid0 for servers.

Forgot to mention I intend to add a second CPU.

If we use RAID0 what should we do for fault tolerance? Remote Backup?

Additionally since there are 4 500GB drives I think I should use 1 500GB Drive as the OS, TCAdmin Master, GameInstalls and put that on a RAID1 with the other 500GB Drive and take two of the other 500GB Drives and set them RAID0 for the UserFiles. Would this be considered a good setup?

Forgot to mention I intend to add a second CPU.

If we use RAID0 what should we do for fault tolerance? Remote Backup?

Additionally since there are 4 500GB drives I think I should use 1 500GB Drive as the OS, TCAdmin Master, GameInstalls and put that on a RAID1 with the other 500GB Drive and take two of the other 500GB Drives and set them RAID0 for the UserFiles. Would this be considered a good setup?

ye thats fine.

For backup you can do local/remote backup, thats up to u. I use syncback myself.

I would recommend u to build up 2 servers rather than a big one to not keep all your eggs in the same basket. This way if u have any issue on a machine it does not affect all ur business.

ye thats fine.

For backup you can do local/remote backup, thats up to u. I use syncback myself.

I would recommend u to build up 2 servers rather than a big one to not keep all your eggs in the same basket. This way if u have any issue on a machine it does not affect all ur business.

Thank you for you help so far, I am actually going to draw up how I hope my infrastructure is going to work and I will post it later.

As for the second server I have an investor who going to purchase a same if not comparable system and it will be located in an offsite facility for better pings in the Western USA.

In my opinion I think you're better off with TCAdmin hosting your panel for you as the monthly hosting cost isn't that much and you don't have to worry about backups and such. Between the machines I would definitely pick the i7 970 over the Xeon for game servers but I would recommend you take a look at the i7 950 as the CPU value for performance vs price is better. That's just my opinion of course :D

In my opinion I think you're better off with TCAdmin hosting your panel for you as the monthly hosting cost isn't that much and you don't have to worry about backups and such. Between the machines I would definitely pick the i7 970 over the Xeon for game servers but I would recommend you take a look at the i7 950 as the CPU value for performance vs price is better. That's just my opinion of course :D

you can get the i7 970 for $215 :) if you are an employee or know anyone as an employee at a retail store such as best buy, buy.com, etc.

Intel Edge program :D

the i7 960 is like $99

I'm trying to hop on the i7 970 lol

Were actually hosting the panel on a separate VPS that also contains our website.

Archived