abhi147

What do you suggest?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you suggest?

• AMD 1090T
    • Intel i7 950

Hey guys,

A happy new year to all of you :)

I was wondering what would be good in terms of number of servers that can be hosted from 1 machine and over all performance

Mainly HL1 and HL2 based servers

Currently I am hosting the following machines

dual quad xeon 5410 16gb ram

2 AMD x6 1090T black edition with 16 GB ram

All our machines have OS on SSD drive and RAID 0 Sata drives for game directories

I also have some spare intel i7 950s in my another company which is into game development and i can easily swap it with AMD 1090T

I wanted to know what do you guys think can host more servers, is more stable, uses less cpu/server and gives better performance for game hosting

i7 950 or Amd x6 1090T black edition

Also is the HT on i7 950 any good or is it same old like it was in p4 cuz it was actually useless at that time

Regards,

Abhishek

The I7 950 is still going to out perform the 6 core AMD just because of the 8mb L3 cache on the I7. Only difference is the I7 has HT (8 cores) to AMD ( 6 cores) and the L3. Also running raid 0 is a complete waste of money especially HD raid as the performance increase is not going to help the game as the games run mainly off cpu and memory usage not the hard drives. It may show up in stats but the gamer will see no difference.

The HLDS servers are taking very high cpu usage

1 32 slot server when full with amx basic plugins is taking 80% of that core

Almost all servers are taking high CPU usage

Thats why i was thinking of changing to Intel 950 from amd x6

But it could well be an OS issue as this was only noticed after we installed windows 2008 instead of XP

The HLDS servers are taking very high cpu usage

1 32 slot server when full with amx basic plugins is taking 80% of that core

Almost all servers are taking high CPU usage

Thats why i was thinking of changing to Intel 950 from amd x6

But it could well be an OS issue as this was only noticed after we installed windows 2008 instead of XP

We are using windows 2008 and we don't have those problems, though processor isn't AMD 1090T, it's dual E5420

Maybe you should take some new i7? Like 2600K if you have the budget

I'm using I7 950 on two my dedicated servers. One with 24 GB RAM one with 12 GB RAM. First one is quite full (RAM @ 14 GB usage) and i can tell you that this CPU isnt passing above 12% (40 gameservers on it)

It's a verry good CPU and you will not make a mistake if you buy it

Archived