My first dedi ^^

sArAkUzZa

Hi guys, I am assembling dedicated servers and I am looking for your opinion and advices.

This is what I got for now

Processor: Intel Xeon E5620

Memory: 24GB Unbuffered 1333mhz DDR3

Motherboard: Supermicro "X8DTL-3"

250Gb + 500Gb HDDs (looking for your advice on which one to choose)

Case:Supermicro "6016T-6F"

Thinking about choosing X8DT6-F motherboard instead.

Server will be used for hosting CoD series games, so RAM exhausting, not CPU.

:)

I would suggest that rather than building 1 monster machine you make 2-3 decent machines

If your 1 machine crashes then all servers are down

the 2600K i7 is a rocking CPU and overclockable and they aer almost at par with i7 980x extreme CPU but 1/3rd the price

Compatible motherboard i suggest any h67 or p67 board would be good you need to see the specs of mobo i dont have much idea about it

And if you have the budget

get an SSD as your OS drive where you load the page files from

2x500GB raid0 for your game files

Note that the above is going to be overkill and you wont even notice any difference except maps loading slightly faster, but it might help in marketing :p

My current server is online for about 35 days (ecc ram)

And only time I restarted it was maintenance :)

This is not gonna be master server, only remote. Setting up remote can be done in about 2hrs

Another issue is that Colo over here is pretty expensive, about 150$monthly, no matter how much W(amps) it consumes.

Anyway I could easily choose good i7 + 24gigs of ram and that should be ok.

SSD is really not necesary coz difference is unoticable.

You should check pricing for BW in India

you'll be surprised :p

You wont go much wrong with i7s i suppose especially not the 2600K

I would not recommend going for i7 950 or higher simply because at the same price you can get a 2600k which is atleast 1.5 times better in performance and ull be able to hold a few more game servers on it

I currently have dual e5410 + 16gb ram and 3 AMD 1090Ts which i will be changing to 2600ks soon

Processor: Intel Xeon E5620

Memory: 24GB Unbuffered 1333mhz DDR3

Motherboard: Supermicro "X8DTL-3"

250Gb + 500Gb HDDs (looking for your advice on which one to choose)

Case:Supermicro "6016T-6F"

:)

This is a good setup and you will have the option of adding another CPU if it becomes necessary.

We use smaller 150Gb 15000 RPM Rapter drives for the operating systems and either a 500Gb or 1TB 7200 RPM hards drive for the game installs.

As for the Case we like to use cases with Hot Swap drive bays.

If the Data Center charges by the $150 for a 1U and doesn't care about power consumption I would stuff as much into a 1U case as I could.

i72600k looks really good on benchmark, it is 2x better than e5620

So now I wonder is it better to get one 5620 and later add another or use only one in start and that is it.

On my current e5620 with HT i have about 150players online and cpu is not going over 7-8% which is excellent.

@sickpuppy

what do you think, adding one 2600k (2x "better")

or one E5260. (with possible upgrade later)

Combination with 2600k would be about 150$ cheaper than second solution.

I am going for monster machine because of colo costs and dont forget that I need to get that server to DC, so that is also cost.

@ajk

do you suggest using raid?

@sArAkUzZa - Since youre running the COD series I think you'll never need more cpu than you have, but will need more RAM.

In this case either the 5620 or the 2600K would be more than enough for you.

If you can wait a few days then by next week I will give you a comparison between E5410, AMD 1090T and i7 2600k.

Problem is that 2600k do not have proper MBs for servers. So I picked up this configuration

Proc: Core i7 950

MB:: x8sti-f

2x500GB sata

24 GB RAM (6x4GB)

Supermicro 813M series chasis

I think this will be good one :)

That is always a problem when you compare desktop cpu's to server grade hardware. You have to look at your overall plan while the server grade hardware is more costly your options are far more open for upgrades, board compatibility, cases etc. If your looking at building a monster machine take a look at some of the 4 socket boards.

You wont go wrong

We just changed our server from AMD 1090T to i7950 and trust me it is far far better than amd

Amd used to go to about 80-90% cpu where as with intel i am at 20-25% cpu during peak hours

And we run a lot of HL1/HL2 based servers

Yes, that is really issue.

Since I will be hosting CoDs there is no need for extra CPU power (maybe one CSS server will be hosted)

Bottleneck is memory.

I was looking to build dual quads (+HT) but most of power would just sit there unusued

It is always better to have more power than you need, than to need more power than you have

• 3 weeks later...

Archived