Advice on a suitable dedi setup.

Dorkslayz

Hello Guys (and gals),

I'm pretty new to Game Hosting but I know how to host a server using srcds and general web development.

I think that I'm going to get a box in NL the specs are as follows.

HP ProLiant DL120

Intel Quad Core Xeon X3210

4GB DDR2 RAM

2 x 500GB HDD

Windows 2008 R2 Web

5 IP's

1TB Bandwith

100Mbps Line (Full Duplex)

I have a few questions aswell,

I have a choice between Volume network and standard network, Which one shall I choose?

Is my OS compatible with TCAdmin and is it easy to integrate?

Is there a way to Limit a game servers Bandwidth, HDD Space, Line speed and CPU Useage?

What's the normal Game server RAM Useage and what's the Slot to RAM Ratio?

Regards,

Dorkslayz.

I have a choice between Volume network and standard network, Which one shall I choose?

Depends on the provider as to what exactly they mean. But my guess is they are referring to you can be billed 95 percentile, or in total GB used in a month. 95 percentile has the benefit of not paying for your top 5% usage levels, but it can still get very costly. Total GB you pay for everything you use but if you bandwidth levels are very high for 6% or more of the month then it can save you. Which is better is about knowing your bandwidth. Although be careful about companies billing total GB usage as many times they use inferior providers to keep costs down.

Is my OS compatible with TCAdmin and is it easy to integrate?

Yes the OS is compatible, and your ability to run TcAdmin is based off your technical skill level. I found it a piece of cake, but I regularly see posts on here saying that they can't get it to work.

Is there a way to Limit a game servers Bandwidth, HDD Space, Line speed and CPU Useage?

In TcAdmin most of those limits would be advanced to impossible. But for the determined person just about anything is possible. But also note that as soon as you start restricting something (aside from hard drive space) you are inviting horrible game play on the server. Can it sometimes be done without interfering yes to mild levels but its rare. Generally if a game server wants a resource it needs that resource to create enjoyable play.

What's the normal Game server RAM Useage and what's the Slot to RAM Ratio?

That is 100% dependent on the game and the question makes me think you are no where near ready to run your own games on a paid box. I'd strongly encourage you to learn at home for free before sinking cash into a dedicated server and remote administration software. It only gets harder when you move outside your local machine that you are sitting at!

Thank you for your reply,

This is a quote from LeaseWeb's site (Which is the host I'm going to use).

Volume Network

The Volume network provides no less than one default Tier1 transit provider and selected private and public peering on multiple physical connections. This network is engineered to provide a cost-efficient solution to high bandwidth needs which do not need the actively optimized and more expensive transit providers found in the premium mix. LeaseWeb supports port aggregation to ensure the most efficient usage of customers hardware thus providing additional savings and financial advantages.

Standard Network

The Standard network is built to fit the requirement of customers with demanding applications which require full redundancy and the ability to leverage latency, international routing performance, and an overall faster and reliable network experience. The Standard network integrates a robust network Service Level Agreement, and leverages several uplinks and our superior networking design to accomplish outstanding performance and reliability. The usage of multiple best quality Tier1 transit providers, diverse private and public peering allows Leaseweb to always use the best available path with the lowest latency and highest connection quality, thus bypassing any network congestions. The typical Standard network segment is equipped with two Cisco routers, each one connected to different core routers via separate physical connections, and uses both gateway and uplink redundancy to ensure non-stop routing and reachability.

In response to your response about me trying srcds on my own machine, Ive been putting it off for a while so when I have a bit of spare time I'll go and run some tests as such.

Regards,

Dorkslayz.

Archived