COD2 Server VERY Laggy!

DrEvil

Hi All,

I am testing TCadmin with COD2 & 4 on a test-box at the moment and have found that it get alot of lag when 4 or more players join the server.

I am running windows 2008r2 x64 on a Dell Poweredge r210 Xeon 3460, 16GB Ram, which is at my local datacentre on a 100mbps link.

I am pretty sure the issue is server-side but I am finding it hard to diagnose the cause of the lag. The server has the standard (factory) 2x Broadcom BCM5716C NetXtreme II Gbe.

Any ideas on what could be the problem or any good suggestion of how I could further diagnose the source of the Lag issues would be appreciated. I have already considered that it could be the 64 bit OS, or that the NIC's are too nasty for the job, but I doubt it.

Thanks in advance,

Evil:confused:

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the tip. Sorry to sound a bit "Kiddy" but I thought Punkbuster was either enabled or disabled and looked after itself. My mistake, I now see the config: http://www.evenbalance.com/publications/cod2-ad/index.htm

Can you reccomend any suggested settings and what is the best way to enforce them so they are not messed with by users?

Many thanks,

Evil

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, a few Q's:

1. Do you reccomend running with any pagefile at all? If best with a pagefile how best to calculate it?

2. I have started testing with punkbuuster turnned off to eliminate it as the cause of the occasional lag issues I am having. It would appear that pb was not the issue as it hasn't made a differance. Where in TCadmin can you configure the pb configs so that they are deployed by default and not overridden by clients?

3. What is the easiest way to change the "Affinity" for everything Game/TCadmin related to system rather than user?

4. Is th "Start at CPU 0" really needed? Doesn't windows just manage/balance the CPU load accross the available cores as best it can anyway?

5. Do any of you normally make any changes to the standard windows 2008 install to optimise it for Games/TCadmin? For example remove or disable any un-needed services or features e.g. disable error reporting service.

6. Is there a way in TCadmin to have Games deployed utilising TCadmin's "Low Memory Utilisation" feature by default rather than having to select it from the games settings after the server is deployed?

Many thanks to all,

Evil

Archived