Had someone contact me with server offers.

tbrown7552

I just want to know what you all think?

Hi, what are you guys using for hosting the game servers?

I run a small hosting service located near Philadelphia. Most webservers, but looking to get into gaming servers and other services. My prices would be more than competitive because I'm small and looking to get a client base. A trial period would also be granted to test out the service/connection.

Let me know if you're interested.

Whats your companies name? What hardware are you planning to host with. Are you mixing webhosting and gameservers on the same machines, what control panel are you going to use. Whos your service provider?

Just so you know. Ive been in the GSP industry. The profits are paper thin. Margins with webhosting are so much better. Most companies doing Gameservers dont make any money untill after at least a year.

My company is called SEVEN83 Technology Consulting. While the company itself is in infancy, my experience is not.

While my connecton and hardware at the moment are "modest" its only because I do not require anything bigger until my client base grows.

Currently I'm running on VZ business class. Static IP, 25Mbps up/down.

I host all the servers (except BC2) for a local gaming group in Philadelphia, meanyfaceclan.us thus far with no complaints. Check out their website (which I also host). Their list of servers can be found there. Keep in mind their site is quite outdated as they never update it and mostly just use the forum.

The server I run these on is a Core i7 930 24GB RAM and 3 x 2TB HD's in RAID5. All their servers hardly put a load on the hardware or the connection. Each of their game servers run in a separate VM with enough resources for only the game server to function. IE: Their CSS server runs with 1 core and 512MB ram. Even with a full server of 24 people it chugs along just fine with tons of resources to spare. They have direct remote access to their VM. I do this so that if one server starts acting afoul it doesnt compromise the other servers I host. They manage their servers as I am only the host and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm actually looking for that one extra customer to invest in server class type hardware and VZ's teir 3 package 50 up/down. Currently as it stands though, its more than adequate and at this point I see no reason to upgrade. I'm extremely confident I could host 8-10 more servers with my current setup if not more.

QoS is handled by pfsense, which I'm sure you know will run circles around even Cisco hardware. Running on a C2D with 2GB of ram. Its state table can handle 1,000,000 (yes one million) connections. Of course proper QoS is setup which pfsense is known for. All gaming ports receive highest priority.

---------------------------------

In the end I'd like you to let me worry about what goes on behind the scenes as this is my business. I understand you have a stake in how my business performs as its a direct reflection on what you are trying to do. That is why I would have no problem offering you a 14 day trial period on any game you choose.

At least check out the trial, what do you have to lose?? You dont have to mention my company, only that you're testing out a provider. I noticed CSS was pretty high in the thread poll. I can set you up with a basic server tonite and you guys can use it as much as you like. Mods however would be your responsibility to manage. Obviously I would offer a grace period on the trial if you wanted to take the time to install mods.

If you dont like the service, then you dont like it. No hard feelings.

Keep in touch

What Gameserver control panel are you using?

I dont use one. The only reason one is used is because clients dont have direct remote access to the machine their server is running on (which youll have). If you like.... links can be inserted on the desktop of the VM to point to critical server/config files to dumb it down and make things easier.

The CSS server can be up in an hour, I'm already deploying the OS. Want to try it out?

Are you using the same machine for Gameservers and Webhosting?

At the moment yes. But the websites really dont see that much traffic. The gaming group in philly is 26 members total and only 7 or so use the site 99% of the time for the forum. I host a wordpress/blog site for a christian hip hop group that also might only see 100 visitors a month. Same with a local general contractor. None of their sites have anything to DOWNLOAD. No files to transfer. Furthermore gameports are given a higher priority over internet traffic.

server is up. 173.61.106.5:27015

I can actually do a 30 day trial. Or until whenever the OS bugs to be activated. It cant hurt. Just try it

We can talk about pricing later.

I saw a few of your guys in the server earlier. Thanks for even considering me. It means alot. You're helping out the little guy. and in all honesty I'd like to stay little. I can offer better service this way.

I believe he was stress testing it and added all 24 bots. The cpu usage was a little high for my liking, it hovered around 60-70 percent. I think I'll add another core. RAM usage was a little over 50%. I even had one of the guys from meanyfaceclan pop in there while the server was populated by bots and he reported to me no lag.

I think I have a nice setup here and as time goes on and my client base grows I'll be looking into better resources.

Keep me posted.

Thanks again.

Jared

I thought I'd check in to see if you've considered the hosting option I've presented you.

I installed Source Mod and Meta Mod on the Vanilla Server for you. If given a steam id in the format of steam_x:x:xxxxx I can add admins. I dont play CSS much myself but I understand these two mods are pretty much standard when setting up a server.

ALSO!!!

I took the liberty of setting you up a GunGame server. I know everyone loves GunGame. Currently the GunGame config is completely default. I prefer turbo/dm style when I play which gives players the guns automatically after a kill with a full mag.

So you have TWO servers to test out. I'm prepared to offer you quite the deal. I've already extended to you a 30 day trial on the vanilla server. I will also extend that trial on the GunGame server. Should you decide to go ahead and rent either I'll give you the 2nd free for 60 days. After which time its up to you if you decide you want to pay for it. I have not started the trial period yet. I dont plan to do so until I've gotten some kind of word from you.

I also upgraded your VM's specs. Its now dual core and will dynamically increase its 768MB of ram to 2gigs if it needs (which i never foresee it doing I haven't seen it go above 600 yet).

Again I urge you to consider my offer. You'd be doing me a great favor by renting a server(s) with me. I can do many other servers. Not just CSS. I host a multitude of other servers for the meanyfaceclan in Philly. They actually just requested a Crysis Wars Server which I set up for them today.

To be honest man im really having doubts. The server is not on a backbone which will affect the ping and connection quality especially from outside the US gamers. The connection is very subpar. You say its sufficient but at competitive prices i can get a server on a 100 Mb up and down line with lots of redundancy. The service provider is the same service that verizon offers in the Home packages in NY. Your mixing multiple services which i dont like. Dedicated is key in the industry. The gameservers do hold priority over the websites but the connection doesnt have priority. Regardless this isnt the BEST way to do it. I understand your trying to make it work with what you got but the other companies are dedicated. You have no game control panel. You are instead operating it much like a VPS control panel and leaving the customer on its own. This is not something i want to deal with. I know how to run a VPS but the fact is i dont have to with other companies which leaves me less stressed and more able to have fun and enjoy the servers. You offer no support for what your hosting. Other companies fully support their services and the games. pfsense isnt that good. It doesnt even compete with Cisco enterprise network equipment. Your firewall allows me to DDoS the test server you put up with ease. I can block it with server mods but still.

Im not worried about your business. I was giving you advice on the GSP industry which you blew off. Doesnt matter to me.

I dont see how your going to be competition priced and be able to compete with other companies services.

Here is what the competition offers.

Dual Intel XEON? E5520

12 GB DDR3 1333 ECC Ram

2 x 15K SCSI Seagate Cheetahs

INTEL-5500? Chipset

SuperMirco 1U Chassis

Cisco Catalyst 4948/3560 Switches

Full mesh BGP

Netflow tools

Level3, Savvis, AT&T, Internap, MCI, and Voxel.

Support for the server hardware, server software, network, and games they provide.

A Gameserver dedicated control panel.(TCAdmin)

99.99% uptime guarantee.

Im all for supporting the small guy but nothing you have or provide is at or near a enterprise level. My next set of questions are this. Why should i go with you over any other company? What makes you stand out over them? What do you offer thats better? I have not ruled you out though. I am curious to what your prices would be. If you switched to TCAdmin instead of the VPS CP then it would help ALOT. Also if you have 24GB of ram there is no need to be restricting Memory per instance. Your CPU will max out before the memory.

I hope i dont come off like a dick as i dont mean to. Looking forward to your reply.

Well, actually after some reflection on my end I've decided to retract my offer for game servers.

You did come off dickish... but oh well. This is your operation.

I too may have come off dickish when i brushed off your "advice". But you must keep in mind your word/experience/whatever is not worth anymore than any other random joe on the internet. I'm a network admin by profession and dont make it a habit of taking business advice from people on a technology forum. My setup while different, works, and works VERY GOOD.

I've offered as much transparency as I care to. You clearly wont be satisfied regardless of my answers and future technological plans.

With that in mind I can already tell to bring your operation on would be a support nightmare and its not something I want to get into. At this point in my business venture I can choose my clients carefully.

Thanks for your time.

Was i wrong to respond like i did? Also when he said he saw us on there testing here are those results.

server.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very good? Very well he meant?

Anyways, I would never run any gameserver over a VM, just to much scheduling and switching delay. With 24 bots, server load is already at 54% thats disgusting.

Look at the var. 5msec var. that = 5msec delay on everything in the server /player more than likely.

Also try fps_max 66.

I wouldn't go with them.

Archived