Lag with installs

Shepsie

At the moment starting hosting a TF2 server but when a game install for another game starts lag starts to happen on the TF2 and other servers.

During the install CPU, RAM and network usage were low.

Im possibly thinking its File I/O or could it be an issue im using compressed versions of the install file which need to be uncompressed.

Any other help much appreciated.

Server Spec

Xeon 3440

4GB DDR3 ECC

250 WD RE3

500 WD RE3

At the moment starting hosting a TF2 server but when a game install for another game starts lag starts to happen on the TF2 and other servers.

During the install CPU, RAM and network usage were low.

Im possibly thinking its File I/O or could it be an issue im using compressed versions of the install file which need to be uncompressed.

Any other help much appreciated.

Server Spec

Xeon 3440

4GB DDR3 ECC

250 WD RE3

500 WD RE3

I have seen this issue in the past with various HDD's and is one of the main reasons we normally run 4 X HDD's in RAID arrays to avoid running into I/O issues even when a box is running hot.

I have seen the issue of 'lag' when running anything from SATA drives to 15K SAS drives when in a single HDD setup. I don't think the drive itself was the issue as I have seen across multiple machines, but more a combination of both extracting/copying files while a machine is running hot.

Copying and extracting files is quite intensive, through TCadmin or otherwise.

Archived