Set custom display name

franky500

Have just been toying with this idea, and thought that somebody might already be doing it,

We can set custom fields in whmcs, we can set a display name for the server in tcadmin,

Is there any way that when a client is ordering they can set a server reference name (display name) that will then be setup so the name is displayed on TCAdmin? (i hope i am making sense)

Main reason for this is that currently i offer support through TCAdmin and WHMCS, I want to set it up for just WHMCS and when a user has more than 1 of the same service it might get confusing as to which service they are requesting support for.

This is possible I can think of two solutions:

Action: Client orders server for a specified location.

Static Names

Code has an array of datacenter id's which equals to names you give them.

Detects which datacenter is being used.

Then updates CustomField for admins to know what server it is located at.

Problems: if you add/edit datacenters you will have to edit the code again.

Mysql realtime

Code connects to TCAdmin mysql database and reads the table of datacenter ids.

Creates an array of datacenterids which equals to its name.

Detects which datacenter is being used.

Then updates CustomField for admins to know what server it is located at.

Problems: More resources use.

Note if you want individual server names you will have to create a Datacenter per server.

Thanks, Although that would be useful in some situations, (customer has services across multiple machines) unfortunately its not quite what i had in mind,

What i should have said is a way to update each service.

So if a user has 2 services, both on the same physical machine, you could tell them apart in WHMCS,

I screen orders anyway though so it might be just as easy for me to use the domain field for the service in WHMCS and put my own custom ID in there, Then set the same name manually on TCA's display name, That way when a user needs support the drop down list of services on WHMCS will have a unique reference.

It would be nice to automate it, But i think that's going to be the easiest way to get what i am looking for.

Thanks for the ideas Stephan, Much appreciated

There's a button in WHMCS (when using TCAdmin_Advanced server module) to take you directly to the service by using serviceid which is generated by WHMCS and sent to TCAdmins API so both have the ID.

Through means of this serviceid you could have the display name always updated on WHMCS for the domain field or a custom field.

Anyway there are many methods to ease maintenance what you are doing works which is fine.

Archived