private core

mattb

I have a quad core hyperthreading 8 and want to offer a private core when someone purchases a server, my question is when I offer a private core and let's say 8 people purchase it and I only have 7 cores with HT would it not be private anymore if I allow 2 or more people on the 1 core, how do GSP'S offer private cores.

Is this true when your server is hyperthreading you should only use even or odds 0,2,4,6 or 1,3,5,7 to set the affinity to get the best performance out of the game. If the game thread needs exclusive access to a single core. Otherwise the OS will have it thrashing between cores which will cause the CPU load to go up, as well as pings and lag. ex: If you do 0 and 1 with hyperthreading on, that will be the same physical core and will overload the CPU.

Private cores are useless. They do not give 'performance' because the engine is only as fast as the code that it's written on. It's like driving race car carrying a 2 ton load of concrete behind it.

You still have to fight the CPU scheduler no matter if they are on their own cores or not.

Pings are related to system calls, not CPU core pingpongs. A CPU can switch a task in a few ns, and the overall latency between the software and the hardware on a modern machine is about 25 to 50nS, and latency on your first hop is a factor of 300 more, at 1ms or a little less.

Pings inside the game are calculated by the same method that is used for a server frame, as it happens inside of a snapshot. The pings inside of a game are grossly larger than they should be, because it's not a real measurement of what is going on, it adds application overhead and it's not a direct measurement of layer2/3/4 latency, but down further, at layer6/7.

The best thing you can do is disable power management fully, use HPET for your wallclocks and finally use an OS that doesn't suck.

Private cores are useless. They do not give 'performance' because the engine is only as fast as the code that it's written on. It's like driving race car carrying a 2 ton load of concrete behind it.

You still have to fight the CPU scheduler no matter if they are on their own cores or not.

Pings are related to system calls, not CPU core pingpongs. A CPU can switch a task in a few ns, and the overall latency between the software and the hardware on a modern machine is about 25 to 50nS, and latency on your first hop is a factor of 300 more, at 1ms or a little less.

Pings inside the game are calculated by the same method that is used for a server frame, as it happens inside of a snapshot. The pings inside of a game are grossly larger than they should be, because it's not a real measurement of what is going on, it adds application overhead and it's not a direct measurement of layer2/3/4 latency, but down further, at layer6/7.

The best thing you can do is disable power management fully, use HPET for your wallclocks and finally use an OS that doesn't suck.

The rest of us just choose to quit, jump off a bridge, then let Gary have our wives. Theres no point in trying.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have windows 2008, In the BIOS settings I disabled the power management and enabled the HPET but when I go to the control panel seems to be still on(you can still edit options) or is it like that I'm guessing it is. The HPET is where, it's enabled but can't seem to find it.

Archived