supermicro opteron

shapka

good morning everyone :p

i need an advice , i see many administrators use one cpu servers and +- 8 gb of ram in u1, and they verry happy as i see.

but iam lookin at this http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/1042/AS-1042G-LTF.cfm

and i have some question in my mind .

is any one have an expireance with 2+ cpu in u1 ?

is that correct that people prefer intel cpu over amd ?

what the minuses of 4cpu in 1u ?

basicly the intel and amd cpu uses difrent architectures.

lets discuss )

thanks.

I use 2u+ only, cooling is a pet peeve of mine, I don't go less than 2GB per core and use only enterprise class drives. I can squeeze more out of my intel systems when looking @ price per watt but with my colo agreements this is a moot point. I've yet to find any place where my intel systems outperform my amd systems in a gsp environment. YYML though.

I haven't used the newer opteron chips as every bench I've read says I'm better off staying with the last series.

If by L series you mean that supermicro system, no I have not, I build my own systems where possible.

2 of my colo agreements include power limits in AMPs which can be converted to Watts using Watt's law. The others just charge per power drop which in my case is at least 2 per system to provide for redundant power supplies.

Your colo agreements make price per watt a mute point? Would you mind elaborating on that? Of course you don't have to if its privileged information -- In my world, Power is one of the three big prices on the bill and Intel helps with that fairly significantly.

I use 2u+ only, cooling is a pet peeve of mine, I don't go less than 2GB per core and use only enterprise class drives. I can squeeze more out of my intel systems when looking @ price per watt but with my colo agreements this is a moot point. I've yet to find any place where my intel systems outperform my amd systems in a gsp environment. YYML though.

Intel and Supermicro make some nice 1u cases that have more than enough cooling fans in them for running dual cpu's. I could see using your specs on a high end application/web server but for gaming a 2u case is a tad bit overkill imo.

1st off, appologize to OP as your thread is now officially hijacked.

Intel and Supermicro make some nice 1u cases that have more than enough cooling fans in them for running dual cpu's. I could see using your specs on a high end application/web server but for gaming a 2u case is a tad bit overkill imo.

Indeed, it is overkill, it's a pet peeve as I said and I pay the price for it when I build my own systems.

When looking at off the shelf systems I'm a big fan of the supermicro 2 and 4 node systems as they provide a great solution for someone that is limited in there space allotment or needs a pathway to upgrade their number of systems in a given datacenter quickly. I need to look into it more but I'm think of getting a 2 node system to put on the east coast, running only 1 node until I need the 2nd, then just paying for the extra network drop and some additional IPs. If anyone has insight into whether this actually works or not please reply.

@Adam

I won't disclose the names of my providers but I can say how I got those agreements and elaborate. When I started this I wanted to look for the best deals I could. I have experience with Jon and the peeps at Colocrossing from my time with FPSGS but, beyond that not much in terms of colocation providers on a national scale, starting off I wanted to look local and in a few 'key' markets. Knowing that this was going to be key to my operations I took my time and did some research via the allmighty google and stumbled upon a site called quotecolo or something like that. They gave me literally 10s of options in each market I was interested in and sales departments from each of these providers contacted me directly for my business. I liken it to buying a car, a little haggle there, a little, 'this guy says he can give me this for that', you know the drill. Knowing my tendancies towards 2u cases and redundant PSUs I knew my power bill was going to be an issue, looking at all the options available to me I found a few, very few, providers that considered power drops just that, a power drop, regardless of amp pull. I used this heavily in 'dealing' with providers, some would just flat out say no and others would be willing to work with me. An example would be my provider in San Jose, if I was willing to go with a /29 instead of /28 (might have that backwards, not a ccna lol) they'd remove power monitoring and just count it per drop. In other area's I found that providers with a per drop vs per amp were just as well reviewed as others that could charge overages for power, thus, I went with them.

My business is in it's infancy, I haven't even 'officially' launched yet. I understand that once I move into a need for 1/3, 1/2, and full cabinets my agreements will change dramatically and power will be a large part of the balance sheet.

Not factored in to the above are agreements which are personal, by day I work in the structured cabling business and thus have made connections with operators of major datacenters throughout the nation, 1 of which has become a close personal friend and allows me to colo 2 boxes free of charge. The other 'free' provider comes from 2 decades in the gaming community as a whole, I'm lucky in this case and encourage everyone to leverage their personal network wherever possible.

Archived