Windows Firewall and Blocking

cmdbash

Hi all,

As per policy's go, would one GSP typically block every port other then the ones being used for the actual game servers, TCAdmin, ftp, and other critical needs?

I ask because I really want to do my best at locking down our firewall, and I'm trying to find the most effective policy I can get.

I have blocked everything, pinging, etc. Then with that only open the ports on a remote IP scope, rather than TCA opening the ports I use custom scripts to createand then delete the rules so I know exactly what's going on with the firewall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All ports should be blocked for TCP/UDP transport protocols, if they are not needed for game server use or administration.

All ports that must be open for administration (EX: RDC) should be limited to certain IP addresses for incoming connections.

I also recommend disabling the default administrator account and using a complex username and password for access/TCAdmin use.

These are just basic recommendations. You can use McAfee's PCI compliance tool to test for known vulnerabilities.

Archived