High Quality Server?

tristangemus

I am creating a game server business and have finally setup TC Admin with my add on ips and more and have been using Cent OS for only a few hours. Picking it up pretty quickly.

I used to be a competitive CS:S player and high quality servers were what people wanted and they were paying even $50 for a private server per month. These servers have been known as "1000 FPS servers" and etc. Here is my dedicated server hardware setup:

Intel Xeon e3-1230 quad core (8 HT Cores)

32 GB DDR3 RAM

3TB Hard Drive

100 MBPS Uplink

Now my question is how would I create a server which would be of high quality? Other than setting the counter strike source server fps_max to 1000? Is there something to do in Tc Admin or linux if anyone is familiar with this? Would really help. Thanks.

Prepare to read, and possibly have your OS reinstalled if you make a mistake.

One of the biggest things you're going to need is to customize/optimize the kernel.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486424

http://www.t-gk.net/computer-stuff/dedicated-game-server/

Read everything there and then google some more.

SRCDS forum has just about everything you need. I put the other link in there because it's more CentOS specific. I'd suggest reading through everything available though and then make your own step by step plan and give it a go.

fps_max is now a defunct command. To get a server running at 1000 FPS you will have to do some third party modifications.

At the end of the day how noticeable is a server running at 1000 FPS gaming wise compared to the default 66 FPS.

I'd be more worried about keeping the FPS stable rather than high, there's no benefit of having a server run at 1000 FPS if it tanks when people start playing on it.

For a high quality game server I'd be looking at a 1270v2 for a start.

1000Mbps won't increase performance, however it will help if the server gets attacked (expect it to).