Mono uses more than 11% memory

Dennis

Hi there,

I was looking at the module for TCAdmin that shows CPU, memory and all that stuff, and I noticed that the memory usage was incredibly high. When taking a look at the memory usage in Linux, I saw that Mono was using more than 11% which corresponds to more than 3,5GB of RAM.

I also noticed that some tcagame services uses more than 22% CPU, but in the cp it says 3%.

I don't know much about Linux, but shouldn't TCAdmin show the same info as when I do "top" in putty?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Hmmm ... A better question would be: consumption of CPU / RAM that appears in widget consumption is calculated as collecting all servers and applications open in TCA's actual consumption or show you windows / linux (including consumption processes occurring here system and other running applications, not just TCA).

I'm assuming the cpanel samples over a longer length of time. If you use top, or sar, you'll can exact measurements from the kernel. However, if you ever sit there and watch a process, you will notice it spikes up and down up and down, it never runs at a nominal level. When TCA collects its samples, it more than likely falls on a valley in the graph vs a peak, or its using an average based on a number of samples.

Mono is going to utilize a decent amount of memory, remember its an emulator, so its running a program through a program, thus consuming the memory of the later.

You can use the following commands in *ix to get a better idea of how things have been running:

if you wanted to view the load averages for your server from the 23rd of the month, you would run this command:

[user@host ~]$ sar -q -f /var/log/sa/sa23

(ls -al /var/log/sa/ and see which dates are available, substitte as needed)

Current CPU usage

Run "top", and on the line that says "Cpu(s)", check the "%id" section which shows the percentage of which your CPUs are idle. The higher the number the better. A 99% idle CPU is not doing much of anything, and a 1% idle CPU is heavily tasked.

[user@host ~]$ top c

Tip: hit "P" to sort by processes that are currently consuming the most CPU.

Historical CPU usage

Check the "%idle" column:

[user@host ~]$ sar -p

Current memory usage:

[user@host ~]$ free -m

Tip: run "top c" and hit "M" to see which processes are consuming the most memory.

Historical memory usage

This depends on the version of sar, which used to use '-r' to show %memused and %swpused (swap memory used), but later changed to '-S' to show %swpused.

Check "%memused" and "%swpused":

[user@host ~]$ sar -r

Hope that helps

Edited by adamnp

Well, now I've been watching the memory usage for mono for a couple of days, and it seems like it's increasing. It's at 13% now. That particular server has been running for 60 days.

On another server, mono only uses 2.8% memory. That server has been running for 22 days.

EDIT:

13.1% now.

Edited by DennisMidjord