SAN Storage

shapka

i have an idea to use a SAN Infiniband as a network storage to game servers ,

i like to hear some critics and benefits of this idea ..

what do you think ? can it actually work good ? instad of use the standart hard drive to use SAN instead ..

:|: :confused:

lets discuss )

• 3 weeks later...

Infiniband is overkill, you're better off running the MPIO/iSCSI stuff on Linux (I'm assuming we're talking Linux here).

Do an iSCSI target boot on the chassis and remove hard drives entirely from your servers.

I worked at AWS, we did something pretty similar. It essentially allows you to re-purpose a server into anything you need at a moments notice, while preserving the data that was once there.

Have a customers dedicated server blow? Got a shared server that's underutilized? Migrate the customers off, save the shared server's state and then migrate the customer's dedicated into the old hardware. Flip a switch and he's back online.

Then repair the dedicated server at your own leisure and convert it into your shared server from that previous disk image. It's as if nothing changed at all.

All that with 2 reboots and completely fixed in under 5 minutes.

So yea, it's got some serious benefits, if you wanna chat more about it sometime, let me know :)

A proper iSCSI fabric will save you money and reduce your replacement and repair costs over time; in comparison to even doing simple raid 1 setups on each server you have.

Archived