New (important?) feature included in next update

Dennis

Hi folks,

I contacted Luis some days ago about a problem. I don't know if I can explain this well, but I'm going to try.

ARK is a very popular game at the moment. It has server files for both Linux and Windows. One minor problem is that the configuration file for the game server is located in a different place if you host a Linux server than if you host a Windows server. On Windows, the configuration file is located here:

ShooterGame\Saved\Config\[b]Windows[/b]Server\GameUserSettings.ini

On Linux, it's located here:

ShooterGame\Saved\Config\[b]Linux[/b]Server\GameUserSettings.ini

We've populated the configuration editor for Windows with a f*ck-ton of options for the server, making it easy for the client to configure their server settings. Before, if you wanted to use the Windows ARK config as a template for Configuration Files and Variables, the file path would have been set to ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsServer\GameUserSettings.ini, and the Linux server will only read from ShooterGame\Saved\Config\LinuxServer\GameUserSettings.ini - so that wouldn't work. The only option was to start building the Configuration Editor for Linux from scratch, including all variables.

I contacted Luis about adding a feature to allow us to specify a config for both OS's, in case you wanted to use one of the configs as a template like we do. He added the ability to use custom variables in the file path as a solution. Here's how our file path looks like now:

ShooterGame\Saved\Config\![OS]Server\GameUserSettings.ini

The 'Linux' or 'Windows' part of the file path has been replaced with a custom variable.

Here's the steps you need to follow if you want to use this.

1. Update your Master server to 2.0.97.5 (this is not needed once 2.0.98 is released, since this feature will be included from that update):
    Linux:
    /home/tcadmin/Monitor/updatetool 2.0.97.5
    Windows:
    "C:\Program Files\TCAdmin2\Monitor\TCAdminUpdateTool.exe" 2.0.97.5
  2. Go to Server Administration and click 'Update Remotes'. This will update the rest of your servers to the same version as the Master server.
  3. Create a variable named OS for you game server. Set the default value to Windows, and check the option to preserve the value.
  4. Include the variable in the config file path, like we did here: ShooterGame\Saved\Config\![OS]Server\GameUserSettings.ini
  5. Create a python script to be executed on the 'Before Create' event - it should only be for Linux OS:
    ThisService.Variables["OS"] = "Linux"

6. Done

This will NOT change for existing servers. For that, you'll have to do it somewhat manually. Create a new python script with either 'Custom Icon' or 'Custom Action' event.

Add this code:

ThisService.Variables["OS"] = "Linux";
ThisService.Save();

Go to each existing game server and click the button to execute the script and voila!

Hope this is somewhat useful to you. I don't know when the next update is going to come, so I figured I might as well share it with you guys.

Edited by DennisMidjord
Changed title of thread to be more specific